Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   garden (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/9110-garden.html)

Kansasdoe 01-04-2012 09:38 PM

garden

Almost 60 degrees here today. This warm weathers making me antsy for my spring/summer hobby. We have a huge garden every year n grow tons of veggies. Does anyone else have a garden?

DVW 01-04-2012 10:51 PM

Do weeds count?

BruceBruce1959 01-05-2012 06:28 AM

I'm the guy you dont want near a garden, All I can grow is OLD! :wacko:

Kansasdoe 01-05-2012 07:44 AM

Oh I grow my fair share of weeds too. If I worried about getting rid of all the weeds id never get anything else done.

tator 01-05-2012 08:37 AM

Yep, I grow a garden every year. Mainly just green beans, tomatoes, lettuce, corn, squash, and sunflowers.

*I don't have much luck with sweet corn, but I learned a tip this past year from an old timer and I can't wait to try it out. (BTW, I love sweet corn!!!) He said when the corn starts tasseling, at first sight of any tassel, sprinkle a healthy dose of Cheyan pepper on the tassel of each ear of corn. This is because here in Missouri, the coons and deer and bird, will eat the heck out of the corn. This old timer said, they get one wiff of that pepper and away they go... they NEVER touch the corn.

Crawdaddy 01-05-2012 11:43 AM

I do. I grow a lot of tomatos, pole beans, squash and lettuce. It will be a long time before I can plant. I have to wait until May 15th or they will freeze. The temps in the mountains outside of ABQ can get below freezing until mid may.

tator 01-05-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy (Post 66126)
I do. I grow a lot of tomatos, pole beans, squash and lettuce. It will be a long time before I can plant. I have to wait until May 15th or they will freeze. The temps in the mountains outside of ABQ can get below freezing until mid may.

Same here in North Central MO. I typically wait until mid-May or even late-May. Planning on growing close to 1/4 acre of corn this year. Yes, that's how much I love it! lol :yes:

Kansasdoe 01-05-2012 07:10 PM

Tator, just curious, what kind of corn do you plant?

Hunting Man 01-05-2012 07:38 PM

I've had a small garden for years. I do plant a lot of lowers too.My dad was the same way only he could grow anything. He could stick clippings in the ground and a new plant would grow! His obit was full of his grower's touch.

Kansasdoe 01-05-2012 07:46 PM

We don't plant much in our garden until after mid may either. Kansas weather is unpredictable. We plant tomatoes, peppers, carrots, beans, onions, beets, corn ,potatoes, n everything else. Not sure where our gardens gonna be this year though. We've had it next door at our neighbors place forever, but he got put in the nursing home n I don't know what his kids are gonna do with the place. Might have to plant it at our farm outside of town.