Deer Hunting Forums banner

Plastic???

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  tomlightfield 
#1 ·
I was at the liquor store this past weekend and was absolutely shocked.
My wife inquired what whiskey she should get and I told her to get VO. I can not believe they are packaging it in plastic bottles now. plastic destroyed the taste of soft drink beverages and I can only guess at this point what kind of reaction alcohol will have on the plastic containers. or the plastic containers will have on the alcohol.
I long for the days long gone of glass and wax impregnated cardboard.

#2 ·
I know what you mean. We got some maraschino cherries (my wife makes cordial cherries every year), and they were in a plastic jar instead of a glass one. They had a strong plastic taste :yucky: After they soaked in brandy and fondant for about two weeks the plastic taste finally went away. They were sure gross at first though.

#4 ·
Mama does a lot of cooking with cherries this time of year (cordials happens to be one of them). For that reason, she only buys the ones in glass containers. She says that any of the others just taste funny. She's the chef, so I'm going to take her word for it. :goodposting:

RR

#3 ·
I agree! I don't drink alcohol (anymore) but I am a Diet Coke addict. There is a distinct taste difference between DC in a plastic bottle and a can. For what it's worth, back when I DID drink, I prefered beer in a can over bottle too.

#10 ·
Its hard to find anything in glass anymore. I needed a glass gallon jar to make sun tea in last summer, and it was hard to find one. The jars they sell at the store to make tea in are plastic now. I don't like the idea of making tea in the hot Kansas sun in a plastic container. Had to find a glass one at an auction.

#12 ·
Sun tea is the BEST... I found an old glass one at my wife's grandparent's old house (no one lives there now) It was in an old closet, we took it home and cleaned it up and now we have a sun tea jar! We make probably a gallon every other day. There is a HUGE difference between sun tea and making tea in the kitchen. Plus, I know most of you are going to stick your tongue out, but I HATE sweet tea... love regular tea!

#13 ·
Thanks for the link BruceBruce. I'm sure I'll need it sooner or later. My sun tea jars always seem to get broken with kids around.We drink alot of tea around here. I make a gallon or two every day. I put a little bit of sugar in it but not enough to make it terribly sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.