Deer Hunting Forums banner

2011 = Tag Soup

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 ·
Deerless in 2011. First time since I've been hunting seriously. Dont quite know what to think. With an empty freezer looks like 2012 will be vegetarian by default.

~triedtohunt

#2 ·
I'm right there with you ! I'm still deer less myself so far, health and work both have limited my time in the woods this year, so I'm also looking for good tag soup recipes. Lol.
Here in ky I do have till jan 14th I think to get a late deer with bow, so after Christmas I'm going hard at it. Although its been my worse season ever it's also been my best only because I did get my son on his first deer ever, so if I end up deer less I guess I can always simer on that and smile anyways

#5 ·
I still have all my 2011 tags too. No deer for me again this year but this is what i expected after the winter we had last year.
There's always hopes of putting some venison in the freezer but some years it just doesn't happen.
We had a severe winter last year, I knew the winter severity was going to be felt by every hunter here in the northeast region.
Deer already struggle to make it through a normal winter, when we get end of season snow falls it adds to their struggle, it really puts a hurting on their winter survival rate.
That along with this years harvest rates is going to impact next years hunts as well but you can bet i'll be in the woods again next year enjoying every day I get to spend in the woods.
I never measure hunting success by harvests, If I did, I would have had to give up on hunting many years ago.

#11 ·
The deer populations are steadily going downhill in a LOT of places, here in Illinois the harvest totals have been on the decline since our record harvest of 2006!! I have afriend who goes home to Wisconsin every year to hunt with family, out of about 11 or 12 guys they would have 20 to 25 or so deer hangin' by week's end. For the last 3 years of the same bunch they may have 1 or 3. I know where I'm at in Illinois, up until 3 years ago, I could kill at least 1 deer every day that I hunted, and I mean 1 DEER EVERY DAY!! I can't tell you how many deer I've let walk. Now, WAY DIFFERENT deal. And there are a lot of days that I go in the dark and don't come out 'til dark. I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I don't think I can type that long!! But anyway, I'm with BRUCE, get in the woods, it is still way better than sitting at home watching Jerry Springer!!!!!! I'm leavin' again next Tuesday for a 4-day doe season and I definitely don't plan on seeing much of the cabin!! Good luck to any of you guys that still have some season left.

#12 ·
"Although its been my worse season ever it's also been my best only because I did get my son on his first deer ever, so if I end up deer less I guess I can always simmer on that and smile anyways . ."

Well ain't that what the spirit of hunting is all about anyway? We may not get one, but passing on deer hunting to future generations is just as important (if not more so) than getting one.

Still remember the comment my mom made when I called and told her that my son had gotten his first deer. It brought tears to my eyes when she told me, "Your grandfather would be proud of you!" What she said has made everything all worth while.

RR

#14 ·
"Although its been my worse season ever it's also been my best only because I did get my son on his first deer ever, so if I end up deer less I guess I can always simmer on that and smile anyways . ."

Well ain't that what the spirit of hunting is all about anyway? We may not get one, but passing on deer hunting to future generations is just as important (if not more so) than getting one.

Still remember the comment my mom made when I called and told her that my son had gotten his first deer. It brought tears to my eyes when she told me, "Your grandfather would be proud of you!" What she said has made everything all worth while.

RR
been my worse season ever also. I cant even buy a road kill doe this season,But I did take my best friend hunting for his first time and got him his first deer.First day he missed a nice doe by not listening and trying to be John Wayne and shoot it off handed while facing him.Day 2 he sealed the deal by useing the rest and waited for the broad side shot.Day 3 and last day of the hunt was mine. Only deer I saw was a nice 8pt at about 160yds as it was going over a ridge:wallbash:

#13 ·
Out if 18 tags between 3 of us, I have filled only 1. We have 3 days coming up this week, 26th-28th to try to fill a few more. Archery doesn't close here until February 29th so there is still hope.
It has been a rough season here in Arkansas as well. We had way to many acorns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.