Dogs - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM

I have two labs, they are the best dogs for family!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 05:16 AM

TG
maybe you don't want a Lab saw this in the news this AM

Reuters) - A Utah duck hunter is recovering from minor wounds he suffered when he was shot in the buttocks by his partner's dog over the weekend, law enforcement authorities said on Thursday.
The 46-year-old man, who was not identified, was out hunting on Sunday with a friend and his friend's dog, a yellow Labrador retriever named Pipper, near the Bear River Bird Refuge in the northern section of the Great Salt Lake, about 10 miles west of Brigham City, officials said.
The two hunting partners had stopped their boat in a marsh area where their duck decoys were placed to retrieve a duck they had shot, and the man laid his 12-gauge shotgun across the bow of the vessel and stepped into the shallow water.
"The dog jumped into the boat and was stepping over the shotgun and made it discharge somehow. The guy was still walking away from the boat and he took it in the buttocks," said Box Elder County Sheriff Chief Deputy Kevin Potter.
The men called 911 and walked to a nearby road to wait for emergency assistance to arrive.
The stricken hunter was taken to Brigham City Hospital, where medical personnel removed 27 shotgun pellets from his backside. He was released a short time later.

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 AM

the story said it was the yellow lab but I think the Meth Lab was later found guilty.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 AM
B&C 180 Class

hahahaha that's hilarious! lol! I've never owned a lab, but my aunt and uncle always had them (raised them) when I was growing up. They really are great dogs. AND YES, it is true, when they are young, they will not only chew on EVERYTHING but they will also drag everything out of your garage too. I know this because our neighbors have one and he's a year and a half and FINALLY out of that stage of oneryness.

btw... I would've suggested Bassett Hound because I grew up raising them with my family. They, to me, are the best dogs possible. BUT they do not have a ton of energy and they don't jump around everywhere like labs can and will do. They are however, very friendly with kids and very lovable dogs. plus I LOVE the sound of that deep HOWL they got.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

I know of 2 breeds that will beat the Lab out hands down on most of the points mentioned, nothing against Labradors. they are fine all around dogs.
The breeds I am speaking of are, the Border Collie and the Australian Shepard
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 12-04-2011, 08:40 PM

predator, When my two labs are gone to the happy hunting grounds they may be my last dogs. I would be in my 60's by then and wouldn't want to deal with a new puppy, possibly an adult dog???
Old 12-04-2011, 08:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

I was only commenting on the first question of the post.
And I agree, you do not want to be trying to keep up with the dogs I mentioned. they will keep anyone in the best shape as they are escape artists and are always looking to get some additional exercise even at their owners expense.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 12-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Thank You all for your input, I really appreciate it. Now, is any specific Lab better than the other? Will a Lab get into hunting things like Woodchucks and varmints and such?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

sounds like my rotties. dont forget them. they love water,playing and very gentle with kids
Old 12-04-2011, 10:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Thank You all for your input, I really appreciate it. Now, is any specific Lab better than the other? Will a Lab get into hunting things like Woodchucks and varmints and such?
Yellow, black, chocolate are all the same as far as demeanor and hunting potential.

My black lab was a natural at retrieving birds. Took a little training to get him to work ten yards in front of m to flush quail.

Never tried to get them to hunt varmints. He was trained never to chase rabbits or other game. There was an incident with a porcupine in which he trained himself!