Interesting Afternoon - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default Interesting Afternoon

I told my doggie if the sun came out, I was going hunting and started changing clothes..

Sun came and I got up a tree. 3:50, popped a small doe. Dropped her and she flopped once-60-yard shot in a thicket. Climbed down and walked up there. No doe. Blood absolutely everywhere and a trail I followed at a fast walk. Over one fence. Half circle over second fence and back on me. Over third fence an onto a 4-acre plot belongs to a guy who apparently raises Rotweilers and old cars.

See the doe. Graveyard dead. Landowner is standing over her with his son who appears to be about 30 and bathes on odd numbered years. We howdy and he says, (not kidding) “I seent her jump the fence and fall down but I can’t figure out the blood. I reckon you must have shot her some time?”

I reckoned and I had and had been blood trailing her off my property onto his. “Oh that’s fine, I don’t keer. Boy aint she fat. That looks like some more good eatrin.”

I agreed and said I was worn out from trailing her. “Boy aint she some fat I bet that right there will be some good eatrin.”

Light bulb. “Mister,” says I, “would you like to have this doe?”

Well you can bet he would so I shooken his hand and comed home.

She was hit in the front shoulder and out through the brisket. I have no idea how she went that far. I estimate she went 300-yards and over three fences. They are tough old critters but boy, I bet she will be some good eatin. That makes number seven for the year, five does and two that weren't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 05:34 PM

Yes it was an interesting afternoon for you scribe.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

After other post I did not expect to see " popped a small doe. Dropped her" I would had thought it would had been "I KILLED a small doe" ,
Ya had to see that coming I couldn't hold back on it. Lol

But anyways some do seem to strive to survive. I shot a buck two years ago broad side, both lungs and just touched the top of the heart. So internally that deer was done as soon as I shot him with my 270 but he managed to get almost 250 yards. And about 100 yards of that was up hill !! That alone is rare for one to run up hill faitily wounded.

7 deer your on a roll ! About 4 deer is plenty for my family for the year,anymore and I'd need a bigger freezer or another one.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 PM

HAHA That was funny right there Fly
yes amazing the will to live some have I have also seen the other way around where the shot looked like it may have lived or at least gone a very long distance but dropped within 40 yards

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM
B&C 120 Class

First one this year that hasn't dropped in sight. Strange for one shot like to jump that many fences.

You see, I couldn't say I killed her because I didn't at that time. That took place some minutes later. At the time she was only "popped". However, I should have said shot. That makes 24 from that stand.

The most I can ever recall being killed from one tree is 33. That was a tree on a management area that was good for two a day four or five times a year. They clearcut the area and that tree is gone. Many years ago, I wrote an article for Bowhunter magazine about that tree. It was titled, The Magic Tree. I believe that would have been about 27-years ago.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 AM
B&C 180 Class

So them dar fellas BAGGED AND TAGGED her then huh after you POPPED her good? haha Sorry, I'm with the guys on this one. Congrats on the Harvest.

I have 3 harvested this year so far, a doe and 2 buttons. Going out tomorrow evening and this weekend for doe season here in MO. I typically always keep one deer for myself and donate the rest of them OR give them to friends or family.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
B&C 120 Class

I have given four of the seven away. The rest filled mine and my son's freezers. I have a three-day trip to AL for the peak of the rut in January and that meat always goes to a family I know down there.

I use to hunt a lot around Kirksville, MO and then a few years ago had some leased in Hamburg, IA and across the line in Rockport. A few years ago I did a story on hunting in the national forest around Birch Tree, Mo. I have always liked hunting in MO. Did a lot fo guiding in IA-NE-MO some years back and also in Pike, County, IL.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
I use to hunt a lot around Kirksville, MO

That's some good huntin up there! That's where the Drury boys have alot of land. Around that area
Old 12-02-2011, 01:46 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
That's some good huntin up there! That's where the Drury boys have alot of land. Around that area
Yeah, this was several years before the Drurys. Most of the land I hunted belonged to Tony Knight. Sure was pretty country.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
Yeah, this was several years before the Drurys. Most of the land I hunted belonged to Tony Knight. Sure was pretty country.

Just about everywhere I've been in Missouri is Pretty Country!