Running deer off - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
NH is kind of like that if it is not Posted it is legal to hunt but if you are asked to leave you must leave you only need written permission if it is posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
Vermont is the same way, a hunter does not need permission to hunt any land unless it is posted, if the land is posted then you do need written permission but if the landowner asks you to leave whether the land is posted or not even if the landowner gave you permission, you must exit his/her land immediatley BUT if the hunter is dragging a deer it's the hunters deer not the landowners, a Vermont game warden would allow the hunter to keep the deer so long as it was just a case of the hunters hunting the land on a regular basis and at some point the landowner decided they didnt want anyone hunting their land any longer. landowners do not own the wildlife that roam their land.

WHOA WHOA WHOA.... wait a minute... you're telling me that anyone can come and hunt a property that is NOT posted?!?!?! This is by far the most dumbest, idiotic thing I have ever heard. I can't even begin to tell you how WRONG this is and in HOW many ways this is wrong. Missouri has VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY strict laws about this. If you are caught on someone elses land without permission (POSTED OR NOT) you can be arrested. PERIOD. Now (here's where it gets interesting) if by some chance you want to be a complete idiot and hunt on POSTED land,,,, then you're talking about HUGE fines and HUGE penalities-- and quite possibly loss of hunting priviledges for quite a while.

Let's say your land isn't posted, but you hunt it. Basically, anyone can come and hunt your property when you are or are not there. That's EXTREMELY dangerous. Do I trust all my neighbors and other people that live around my hunting ground? NO!!!! I'm seriously surprised as all-get-out right now!

We paint our fence posts purple (NO TRESPASSING COLOR) so that if someone trespasses, we can prosecute to the fullest extent.

I'm EXTREMELY Serious when I say, NO ONE had better ever trespass on our property b/c If I find you, you might get an angry 6'3" 280lb man running after you. ESPECIALLY if I'm with a family member or my kids. Talk about DANGEROUS. How can your states allow this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 AM
B&C 180 Class

Still in disbelief!!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 AM
B&C 140 Class

Does not have to be posted here either, and here they can keep your harvest too, way it's looked at is if it's on their property it's theirs, if I was to shoot a deer and it runs to the neighbors property, I have to go ask permission to collect my harvest. If I don't and cough dragging my harvest back to my area they can take my deer and charge me with trespassing. And for extra like in your shoes where you shot the deer on their property here warden could had took your gun, ATV, truck, and every thing else in your possession on that property.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_fly View Post
Does not have to be posted here either, and here they can keep your harvest too, way it's looked at is if it's on their property it's theirs, if I was to shoot a deer and it runs to the neighbors property, I have to go ask permission to collect my harvest. If I don't and cough dragging my harvest back to my area they can take my deer and charge me with trespassing. And for extra like in your shoes where you shot the deer on their property here warden could had took your gun, ATV, truck, and every thing else in your possession on that property.

Well it seems to me that in Missouri and Kentucky they are doing it right. Like ON the fly said,, If I shot a deer and it jumped or entered a neighbors land, I would have to ask permission or potentially face the consequences of trespassing. and that's how I think it should be. It's your land, you own it, it's YOURS- no one else has a right to be there.

About 7-8 years ago, I was at my sister's house and her next door neighbor had a NICE buck hanging outside from a tree in his backyard. Well as I was admiring it from the window, I saw a interesting truck pullup in the drive way. The man of the house came out and they began talking. It wasn't long before this buck (at least a 12pt and MATURE) was cut down from the tree, loaded in the back of the game warden's truck and gone down the road. I later found out, that this guy had supposedly "shot" this buck on his property and it jumped onto the neighbor's property and he trespassed to get it. Now, ethically, did he do the right thing? YES... but legally? NO. All it would've taken is a 1 minute phone call and if the property owner said NO, then all he had to do was call the game warden and report this situation and 9 times out of 10 the game warden is going to let you go get your deer.

We have this law in place for hunter's and land owner's protection.

Posting Land Against Trespassers
Old 11-28-2011, 11:26 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake00 View Post
Well the prob I'm having is that the farm I hunt I have hunted for years and there's a farm beside mine I have also hunted it but this year the old man that owns the land next to me leased it out to a hunting club and u went and talked to the hunting president and told him if I could hunt their property that they could hunt mine he said that sounds good, well tuesday I went over in there and killed a nice 9 point and was dragging it back out and they stopped me and told me to leave the property and leave the deer, well that wasent gonna happen so they called the game worden and he said since there was nothing in wrighting that I was trespassing and had to leave the deer, well then wed I went up on my property and there was 2 of the guys from the hunting club over and I told them get off my land and they said no, so I went and called the game warden and he came and said since my land wasent posted that they didn't haft to leave since there was no posters and no fence deviding the property, so I posted my land yday and I'm trying figure out what I can put down in there holler next year to run all there deer out for atleast the 2 weeks of buck season
Jake- first off, it sounds like your state has some JACKED UP laws. This is case and point why this is NOT ok in my eyes. The same crap you typed above can happen to anyone. The days of taking a man's word with a handshake are gone. NO one can be trusted and remember many of those "big city" guys are there to do one thing, shoot their gun at deer. Many don't respect the land, the wildlife, the property or the deer. They're just there to screw around because they have too much money in their pocket and they think they own the whole country. It's these types of people that tick me off.
If I were you, I would be putting up a fence between the property lines and posting it up and down all over. That would be happening ASAP. I would also send a formal letter to the property owner and make sure you keep a copy for yourself. Make sure you put in the letter than anyone caught trespassing will be prosecuted and that you will no longer be hunting their land either. I would also state that any deer shot on their property and then comes onto you should NOT be retreived until you have given them permission to do so. I would make sure I did all this ASAP because it sounds like one morning you're going to go out and have 5 guys hunting your property and there won't be a dog-gone thing you can do about it. Remember, these guys are well versed in the law and trespassing rules. They know what they can and cannot do. You need to either find on the internet your state's laws or you need to contact your local game warden and meet with him/her.
Good luck, and I'm sorry this had to happen to you.
It's got me highly
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM
B&C 140 Class

As already mentioned, different states have different laws regarding hunting private property. I hunted Maine for many years and any land not posted was legal to hunt on, whether you had talked with the owner or not. Sounds like it is similar to N.H. and Vt. in that respect. Where I live in Tennessee all hunters must have permission to hunt any private land, but it can be verbal.

Any landowner can have someone cited for tresspassing, even without signage. If a landowner posts his land and includes his name and Ph number, a Game Warden or Police Officer can arrest anyone (except landowner's family) on the land that is not carrying written permission from the landowner and, do not need landowner permission prior to doing so. The laws vary widely from state to state and everyone needs to be sure they understand the laws of any state in which they hunt.

Last edited by turner; 11-28-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

Texas Dept. of Parks and Wildlife hunting regulations state that you MUST have the land owner's WRITTEN permission to hunt their land or face the legal consequences. As far as I'm concerned, if I find someone on my land with a rifle, hunting or not, then I will consider them to be an "armed and dangerous predator" and will respond accordingly.

"If I shot a deer and it jumped or entered a neighbors land, I would have to ask permission or potentially face the consequences of trespassing." Same rules apply here in Texas. I don't exactly have a large place to hunt on, so I'm extremely careful with shot placement. Haven't had to (knock on wood) ask any of my neighbors (yet) for permission to chase down a deer.

RR
Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
I too would like to know what state. In every state I can think of, signage is not a factor in terms of legality. However, written permission is.
In NM it is. It is called a "fence me out" state. There are a few left .
Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
WHOA WHOA WHOA.... wait a minute... you're telling me that anyone can come and hunt a property that is NOT posted?!?!?! This is by far the most dumbest, idiotic thing I have ever heard. I can't even begin to tell you how WRONG this is and in HOW many ways this is wrong. Missouri has VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY strict laws about this. If you are caught on someone Else's land without permission (POSTED OR NOT) you can be arrested. PERIOD. Now (here's where it gets interesting) if by some chance you want to be a complete idiot and hunt on POSTED land,,,, then you're talking about HUGE fines and HUGE penalities-- and quite possibly loss of hunting priviledges for quite a while.

Let's say your land isn't posted, but you hunt it. Basically, anyone can come and hunt your property when you are or are not there. That's EXTREMELY dangerous. Do I trust all my neighbors and other people that live around my hunting ground? NO!!!! I'm seriously surprised as all-get-out right now!
Yup that is what I am saying Live Free OR Die
its the way it has been for as long as I can remember & most people know it so if you don't like it stay out of NH (easy that is pretty much what our motto means)
Tator you have to know the state of NH
we are a small state we are not the mid-west. we have virtually NO Agriculture here anymore land is expensive here. you do not see people owning thousands of acres of land. here in my area you cant find 5 acres for under $100,000 we have hardly any public land so this works for us
most all hunters in my area follow the F&G regulations we get the poacher every now & again & most are caught because we look out for one another here. I can say since I have lived in NH (since 1987) I have never had an issue with someone firing a weapon towards or near my house (that I know of) I have 5 acres that boarder 300+ acres that is owned by Sturm Ruger & I can say other then my hunting party have never seen another hunter near my house or my neighbors

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 PM
B&C 180 Class

all I'm saying is this would be very dangerous here in the midwest... I'm guessing we have more people that deer hunt down here. If this were the law, I would not be deer hunting.. I'd be people hunting to keep them off our property. I still do not see how this is ok even in a small state. Anytime you have people hunting on land so close to you that they could shoot you is dangerous- especially if you don't even know they are there?!?!!? Nothing against you GFD, but this is just my opinion. I don't think your state's solution to being able to deer hunt makes sense and I'm surprised there haven't been alot of accidents up there.
Good luck to you man- and for goodness sakes- stay safe!