deer mount - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default deer mount

well as a few have probalby read from me before I myself have never ever had a deer mounted before and dont care to, not that i wouldnt mind having one or two around but for the money i would just rather put it in equipment or something I can use its not like I have much money in the first place but to spend 3 to 5 hundred bucks to just hang on the wall isnt me anyways. well as some of you know my son just got his first deer and it was a buck, not the biggest but a nice first for sure (my first was a yearling so i guess hes kinda got one on ol dad, but I guess I dont have to let him know that right now or I'll never here the end of it) but anyways he started fussing about wanting to get it mounted and i was like well whats wrong with just the rack mount like i have and i had him sold on the idea then the grandparents came in. yep they get the spoiling rights on this one because they siad it was his fisrt and we had his first turkey fan n beard in a plaque on the wall it was christmas soon and only right so they offered to half it. well never mounting one and hearing cost i was still a little nervous about what i was getting into. well I went to a highly recomended shop with great feedback from the locals around here. well its a flat rate of 275.oo for the sholder mount, 25.oo for the plaque, 10.oo for the ingraved name plate. with a total of $310.oo flat and estamated 6 weeks return wich puts it back just a few days before christmas. so we will see. O and I had them do a straight on look because the rack is different on each side, and one turn or the other determains a room so i figured a straight look he could set it any where. so this is one luck little feller this year on his hunting game. both first and both going to be on the wall for him to remimber for a life time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

Congrats on deciding to save that deer for your son. That's a decent price, the guy I have used for well over 10 yrs now is in Kentucky and his last price was $295., I think. I would say, however, that I've always felt a mount with a turn always looked better to my eye, and ones I've had done (up to nine now) are all in a turn (semi-sneak I think it's called) with best side forward (turned outwards)

Best of luck with the work and I know your son will have an awesome Christmas now!!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

only six weeks??? WOW, that's incredibly fast. Make sure you get that in writing b/c I had a mount done and it took over a year to get it back. Is the guy just getting into taxidermy?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:02 PM
B&C 140 Class

No he has been doing it for years but was only doing it on the side as his hobbie for years then deside'ed to open a shop and it's been open for a few years now but he still will only take a certain number of deer in so maybe that's why he's so fast and maybe caz this is a realy small town.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
B&C 180 Class

Still though, 6 weeks is super fast. I was told 6 months on my last mount and it ended up being over a year later. I'm just saying, unless you know the guy pesonally, don't get all excited to get it back in 6 weeks. I was so pumped when month 6 hit, then burst my bubble. I hope you do get it in 6 weeks!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:19 PM

normally it takes 6 mo just to get the hide back, so my guess he does his own tanning too. Good luck and hopefully it comes out perfect!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

Yes he tans the hides out his self. That's not that big of a deal I use to tan out hides when I did trapping, I learned to do it and bought the tanning stuff to do it right. I never did a deer pelt just a yote,fox, beaver, possum, skunk and raccoon. All turned out good too. I could do a yote pelt in probably 3 weeks I think. Realy all depends on how fast they dry out after fleshing. The chemical some after the drying is a set time
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

here is a pic i took of two of the deer he had hanging in his shop because i wanted to show my wife what we did. the little deer on the left is the straight postion we orderd and the bigger deer next to it has the same shild plaque we are getting on his. but you can see his work there and the fish below ithem and the ero mount beside um. he had quite a few mounts in there from fish to bobcats. like i said its just been a hobbie of his for many years and has only had the shop for three now, but comes with HIGH WORD from everyone around here that has ever delt with him. I have told many people about it now and still have not heard one bad thing about him or his work yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tax shop.jpg (33.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Looks like quality mounts.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:28 PM
B&C 160 Class

Good price and fast 425 here and at least 6 mo