Rage broadheads - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 PM

Default Rage broadheads

I know a lot of archers are using the Rage heads but I want to pass along some of my own experience and of my buddies up in the UP of Michigan. Last year I lost that pa 8pt with a square hit to the shoulder using the Rage 3 blade. Bad hit on my part but I know that the Muzzy MX3 would have made it into the lung area for a kill. My buddy, who has shot nearly 100 archery deer, has lost three deer using the Rage broadheads. These shots were all frontal shots behind the shoulder, showing lots of blood in the beginning but the bucks/does stayed on their feet walking over a mile, no blood trail left, to who knows where they ended up. These deer were not immediately pursued so they weren't pushed after the shot. I have also seen up close the damage the Rage head does and how quickly the deer can expire. Based on the increase of lost deer using the Rage heads by several hunters and new ones posted here at DHC, I have decided to go back to the trusted Muzzy MX3 heads. Crossbow and compound alike will shoot the Muzzy MX3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 AM

I'm not a fan of rage broadheads in fact I would rather see hunters avoid using them altogether.
HM, I think you're making a very wise decision by going back to Muzzy Broadheads,
I also applaud the fact that you're making your personal observations and experiances public for all to see.
I've heard many stories, similar to yours and the more I hear the more I want to discourage anyone from using them.
Good Luck with the Muzzy's.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 AM

well for me they have not let me down & I will continue to use them untill they do let me down but I do respect your comments & I would be happy to take them off your hands HM if you were using the 2 blades

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright

Last edited by gfdeputy2; 10-26-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 AM
B&C 180 Class

I've never even tried mechanical broadheads and I'm not going to try. I like my magnus stingers and i'm sticking to them!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM

My son took the remaining 3 blade Rage heads, he swears by them, me I swear at them, well only once, and it was all my fault. I just think with a marginal shot, I know you snipers never have a marginal shot, the Rage looses too much energy giving poor penetration vs a strong fixed blade head. These are just my own thoughts. I could be wrong, however, hell would freeze over first! just kidding folks.......
Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM
B&C 100 Class

I lost 2 deer with the rage 3 blade last year and were decent shots not perfect but decent. Im back to montec g5s and already had a clean pass threw kill this season. If you get any kind of angle shot your screwed
Mine are now in the quiver ready to shoot squirls yotes or fox
Old 10-26-2011, 04:27 PM
B&C 140 Class

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have never tried a mechanical broad head, and don't really have any reason to. It seems like trying to complicate a simple job.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Won't use em

I understand people have had luck with them, but I don't allow my buds to hunt my land with them. They won't or rather haven't for me/friends penetrate bone. They can do a lot of damage (huge cutting diameter) but the Redhead Blackouts I used only have a little over a 1 inch cut make deer go down just as quick if not quicker. Also, I have a personal problem with them costing almost 50 bucks.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Scrub Buck

the grim reapers are the best mechanical broadheads, but thats my opinion.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Well I never tried the 3 blade I use the 2 blade
this years deer I took out 3 ribs & a complete pass threw they will go threw bone & I only pay $30 they are as much as most good broadheads on the market
HM I do not want to start an arguement but I feel I need to ask
are 100% sure that same shot w/ the muzzy would have killed the deer
I ask only because I have heard both sides of the Rage stories with the 3 Blades too & I just have had GREAT luck w/ the 2 blades & if they dissapoint me due to the broadhead & not my error I would change to something else
but like I said the hole it puts through them & the blood trail it leaves (not kidding My bro-inlaw is color blind he has trouble seeing red & green now shoots the 2 blade cause even he can see the blood trail) is amazing
just my thoughts & if you are happy with what you use stick with them
it can get expensive with all the different broadheads on the market
so I guess what I am repeating here is I purchased the rage & for me they work wonders & I will use them untill they mess up
well leaving for NY tomorrow so I will talk to you all in a week
GOOD LUCK & HUNT SAFE

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright