Getting started - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Getting started

Finally starting to get things together for PA rut hunt for first two weeks of November. I envy a lot of you as you have already gotten in several days, weeks of bow hunting. I sighted the crossbow in with Muzzy MX-3's today and got the camo down and sorted and ready to wash. Went through the mechanic's bag which has all the junk in it. Got the new climber today so practice will be limited. Seems like this year it has been hard to get in the mood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 08:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

Sounds like you are about ready. My hunt starts the 29th of October. I have been practicing with the muzzleloader for the last month. Shot again today.. Feeling pretty confident.

I put my freighter pack together today with everything needed for a long hike. Sleeping bag, cold weather clothes, steiners, range finder and coolers are in the truck.

Now the 10 day wait until I head out.

HM, I hear you abound envying the guys that are already hunting.

I'll get two hunts this year, one in NM and one in TX, so I should count my blessings.

Good luck to you and everyone else.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:09 AM

My scheduled hunts are PA archery rut hunt, S. Ohio shot gun late November, then either S. Ohio or PA late season January ML hunt. I would like to get the Omega back and sighted in asap. I do have to decide what I'm going to use in S. Ohio for shot gun season as ML rifles are legal. I haven't sighted in the scoped 870 yet but will before Thanksgiving . The ML gets the nod for accuracy/distance, the 870 provides a quick follow up shot if necessary??? Best to you too Crawdaddy and everyone else, all be safe this year!

Last edited by Hunting Man; 10-17-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

Never got into the bow/archery thing - left eye dominant and the rest of me right handed kind of puts a damper on that. Too many reminders of my youth taking all the skin off my left forearm trying to shoot arrows.

But do have the .270 sighted in. Daughter has her/my 6mm Remington, and youngest son has the .30/30 sighted in as well. Daughter is an early riser and son prefers evening/mid-day hunts, so we have those pretty well covered. All I have to do now is wait the near three weeks before rifle season starts.

Good luck/good hunting to ALL Y'ALL out there!!!

RR
Old 10-19-2011, 02:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

Best of luck on your Pa trip H.M. !! Hope you whack a nice one (or three!)

We just had a short, 2 day, M/L early season in Kentucky this past weekend (my first with gun for deer this year). None of the nice bucks we saw on trail cam showed up, but it was an enjoyable weekend with about 10 deer (all does) coming within 45 yards of the stand during the 2 days.

Our next season up is Tn M/L starting on the 5th and then rifle in Kentucky on the 12th and Tennessee rifle on the 19th. Tennessee rifle now remains open through January without any breaks
I just submitted my November work calendar saying when I'm available to work. I listed 5 days that I'd be available....lol.

Looks like no Indiana hunt this fall, but I did just make arrangements for a January '12 hog hunt in Georgia.

Last edited by turner; 10-19-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner View Post
I just submitted my November work calendar saying when I'm available to work. I listed 5 days that I'd be available....lol.

THAT must be nice!!!!