Ohio weather & Tick Experiment - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Default Ohio weather & Tick Experiment

Last 48 hrs, high winds, looks like about 3" rain and a riled up Lake Erie. I wanted to get the crossbow sighted in at longer distances but it ain't happening today. Grass needs mowed too .
Note: first time in 31 years one of my dogs had a tick on it. Well unfortunately for that tick I used it for a test. The tick spray that I'll be using in PA is Coulston's Duranon Tick spray. I don't know anything about it and this is not an promo of their product, however, after giving the test critter a shot of the spray, it took 24 hrs to stop all movement. This product is to be sprayed on clothing then allowed to dry (4 hrs) then be odorless. We'll see in actual field test in November PA bowhunting. It had better work as lyme disease is nothing anyone needs to get. I just got a negative blood test result for lyme disease, something all hunters should get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

So the spray took a full 24 hours to kill the tick? I'm assuming it's more of a repellent than a pesticide right? I wonder if you took the ticket and put him in a tupperware box and sprayed one side of it.. would he avoid that side?

Let us know if you catch another one. :)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM

It's says it will kill them also. I had the tick in a plastic bag and gave him a small hit of the stuff. It seemed to hit him pretty hard then took the full 24 hrs to stop all leg movement. If the product just makes them jump off me then I'd pay 100.00 a can for it. No I'm not interested in another tick spray product.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 PM

TICKS.. You gotta love em.

Why did you get your blood tested for lyme disease? You find ticks on you or did you start feeling like crap? Or just preventive since your dog had one?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 AM

BF, just trying to eliminate possible reason for joint pain other than old injuries. Every hunter who is in contact with ticks should have a yearly lyme test. It knocked the living crap out of my buddy in PA.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Here in Vermont we dont have a huge deer-tick problem so I dont get to experiment with the many different products on the market that help guard hunters against ticks but
from what I've read it sounds like the most effective product is one that contains "Permethrin",
I'm no expert on chemicals and I'm not promoting any specific product but for those of you who have serious issues with ticks you might want to look into learning more about this permethrin stuff,
just be careful if you have cats or fish as pets, permethrin is toxic to cats & fish.