Weather/ticks - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM

Default Weather/ticks

We could use some rain. After one of the wettest springs on record we are now starting a drought period. Starting to water the browning lawn. I called PA tonight to check in and they are still wet and getting regular rains. My buddy and his wife currently have Lyme disease and are on antibiotics. Tick population has exploded there. He said he has had over 100 on him and dug out 18 from his hide. I hate ticks! Good news he saw 5 bucks on his property last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 05:32 AM

We could send you some of our rain from TN. Got about 3 inches on Tuesday. Gonna stay hot for the rest of the week and then more rain all next week.

I HATE ticks. I even bought a bag of the lawn insect granules this year. We seem to have more of the suckers than we usually do. Even after a shower and pulling ticks for an hour you still always fell another one crawling on your leg once you hopped in the bed. If I had $1 for everytime I have used the cell phone light to find a tick in the bed I would be retired like all you other old men!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 PM
B&C 180 Class

Here in north central MO we've been having about 4-7 days of no rain at all then big storms coming in. Last two rains have been that way and have had alot of wind with them. Getting really tired of picked up branches and sticks in the yard. Got a very large cottonwood tree in the yard that is going to be brought down to a single STICK if we keep getting all this wind w/our storms.
Haven't seen many ticks this year at all here. maybe they headed west this year!! lol
Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

We got about an inch of rain last week. First significant rain we've had in months. US Dept of Agriculture has declared 98% of the state a disaster area. Most of the area around here is parched and a wildfire waiting to happen. To me, it's only a matter of time before someone does something stupid like flick a cigarette butt out the window or Mother Nature starts something off with a lightning storm. Something as simple as sparks from a railroad car could light up half the state.

Rain?? Please send it our way -- we could use all that we can get.

RR
Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 PM
B&C 160 Class

Got a little rain the other day but i need more .
Old 07-10-2011, 06:47 PM
B&C 180 Class

Well i was out raking hay today and once i finished I couldn't help but go check my trail cams. Turns out all my SD cards were full, and I got a ton of nice pics of 6' tall weeds! Awesome. Plus it drained my batteries on all 3 cams. Got a few deer on there, some nice does and one interesting button buck (he was a curious fellow).
As far as ticks.... found two on me and when I got home (soaked from the 115 heat index outside) I asked my wife to check my back and sure enough, there was one getting ready to attach itself. Don't know about you fellas, but ticks I can NOT stand. I lit that dude on fire...
Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Scrub Buck

Ticks ate me up last season and I wouldn't be at all surprised if I don't have Lime Disease. They started on me again this spring and after pulling over 50 off...(I get most before they dig in) I decided to do something about it.
I knew Permethrin would work..but is exspensive in the store so I called the manufacturer of Dur-Vet Permethrin 10 and spoke with there sales person. *He informed me that many agricultural products are oil based to aid sticking. *Use on clothing would result in stained clothing and long drying time and wasn't recommended. *Also some agricultural products also contain Piperonyl Butoxide(PBO) which is toxic.

I then purchased DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate from Amazon which claims to be the only EPA registered permethrin 10% concentrate approved for use on clothing. *It is intended for use as a soak but I deluted it to .5% and use it as a spray like Sawyers. *It is $30 for 8 oz. *Mixed 20 to 1 it will make 168 oz of .5% spray or equal to 7 of the 24 oz bottles of Sawyers. Thats $30 vs $90.

I did some research and found that if I mixed 1oz 10% Permthrin (2 tablespoons) and 15oz. Water (8oz. = 1 cup) that ratio gives 16oz. Solution.

I mixed and sprayed my pants, shirt, socks and hat. Will last 6 washings. Since I did this I have not had one tick on me and I'm in tick infested woods all the time. One set of sprayed hunting clothes last the whole spring gobbler season and a couple months more.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM
B&C 140 Class

I am also a big believer of Pemethrin, even though I've never mixed it myself. It certainly seems to help when I've been on late spring and early fall hunts, especially when used in conjunction with my Therma-cel. Anything that helps keep those stinkin' bugs away is great as far as I'm concerned.