Just saw this in the News - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 AM

Default Just saw this in the News

Mysterious mountain lion killed in Connecticut

Reuters A dead mountain lion is seen in Milford, Connecticut, early June 11, 2011. REUTERS/Stringer

By Lauren Keiper Lauren Keiper Sun Jun 12, 12:52 pm ET
BOSTON (Reuters) A mountain lion was killed just 70 miles from New York City early on Saturday morning, and officials were trying to determine if it was the same big cat spotted a week ago roaming the posh suburb of Greenwich, Connecticut.
The 140-pound mountain lion was hit by a small SUV on a highway in Milford, Connecticut, early Saturday morning, and died from its injuries. The driver was unhurt, officials said.
With no native mountain lion population in the state, "it's possible and even likely" it is the same enormous cat with a long tail spotted last weekend in the New York City suburb some 30 miles away, said Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Dennis Schain.
The large cat was transferred to a state environmental facility where authorities will use the photos, paw prints and other evidence collected near the three Greenwich sightings to determine if it is the same animal.
Traveling between the two cities would be a jog for this large cat known to roam extensively, even up to a couple hundred miles in a day, said Schain.
The eastern mountain lion was officially declared extinct earlier this year, prompting authorities to suspect the animal spotted in the urban jungle of the New York City metropolitan area, had either escaped or was released from captivity.
The closest confirmed population of mountain lions is in Missouri, half way across the country.
Mountain lions, also known as a cougar or puma, are lone animals that in the east primarily preyed on white-tailed deer.
"By and large, cougars want to stay as far away from people as they possibly can because they are so solitary," said Bob Wilson, a co-founder of The Cougar Network, an organization devoted to tracking and researching the animal.
Wilson said mountain lions like to hunt in the shadows and it would be a very remote chance to encounter the cat.
The eastern cougar was hunted and trapped "relentlessly" and gone from much of the region by the late 1800s, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Around the same time its habitat was destroyed by deforestation and the population of its prey declined

This is a huge on-going arguement in NH whether or not there are any here in NH or not
Makes you wonder

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 AM
B&C 160 Class

Thats a big cat
I dont know why states dont want to admit cats are here
Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

There are no mountain lions in PA either. Just ask the guys that sit behind their desk all day, they'll tell you!
daddus
Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM

I saw one personally w/ a police officer a few years back & was told by F&G we did not see one that it must have been a bobcat or something they try to make you out like you saw bigfoot
year or so ago A F&G officer saw one & report came out that it must have been a pet that was released into the wild "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" guess they couldn't use the excuse that he didn't know what he saw

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 AM

Well the Wildlife officers from Conn cant deny this cat..

That thing is huge. I do not care anything about having those in the woods of TN. Im sure we may have a couple around but would rather not encounter one before daylight on the way to my stand.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM
B&C 120 Class

Just recently in Rhode Island there has been reports of a large cat being seen crossing a main road. There was also a deer carcass found in someones yard that was covered with leaves and debris much like a large cat would do. Our DEM is denying the fact that there is a cat in R.I
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

they tell us the same thing here in Fl,that they or only a few and there only in south Fl.Well I hate to bust there bubble but they or here in north central Fl also.Have seen to many of them here.Also I do know the differance between a panther and a bobcat.Had one 2 yrs ago track me to my stand then circle behind stand and screamed a few times.When I left its tracks were in my boot prints and also almost as big as my hand.They dont know how many panthers,gators,bears much less deer and were there located
Old 06-15-2011, 07:32 AM
B&C 120 Class

Same story in New York. Our DEC denies and denies evryones claim and most probally are mis sightings. Bobcats are alot bigger than stray/feral cats and are spreading into areas that they haven't been in in the near past.

There were reports that one was trapped during trapping seasons last year but that it broke out as the trappers were approaching. Personally, I cannot add my name to those that claim a sighting nor am I eager too. I would prefer not to have something secretly huntning me as I am out and about in the great outdoors.

Theres no denying that a cat was killed in CT. How many people have pet moutain lions? I'm sure they must be hush/hush about it. Never knew or heard of someone that did.