Too much adventure - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Too much adventure

Well to start off, i did some fishn while in Jacksonville visiting my BF, both fresh and salt. My salt trip was a little excesive lol, the day started out real nice we got to our spot about 18 miles out fairly quickly and promptly got a bonita a few sharks and a 36lb cobia, then the engine started giving us the siren and we couldn figure out what was wrong and it wasnt running hot or anything so we headed to the other spot, at that point the engine would only allow for about 3 mph with out shuddering alot (yes we shoulda turned in at this point) we look up and a huge wall of a storm is coming right at us so we turn in, under the wall we get hit with 64 mph winds and the seas jump up to 10-12 ft, we are in a 24ft single engine boat with a bad engine, we were 11 miles at that point and call seatow, we make it another 3 into this thing all the while taking waves over the bow. im looking back at the engine to avoid the spray and rain in the face when i realize the engine shouldn't be that low in the water, our bilge pump was being over taken and soon it quit all together, soon after that the engine went all the way under and we lost power, through the anchor to keep us headed into the waves so we wouldnt get rolled, about that time seatow shows up with 4 other fishin boats after we called a may day and waved a few flares, he hooks up i cut the anchor line and he gooses it for some reason while were at the top of a wave and pull the bow down from under us, i came off the deck about 4 ft and slammed my face into the bow (face now pretty colors and bleeding) and the tow line snaps, he comes back around reties and were on our way slowly but surely the water starts to drain out with the forward motion and by the time we get back in the river the tow guy has both boats up on plane (haulin butt to tow) engine is fried but were all alive and we didnt loose the boat and only a few peices of equiptment, i count us all as majorly lucky, oh and flares melt, the globs that come off them burn like crazy just sayin lol, glad to be home safe, just wanted to share my crazy weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Dang girl!!!!! Glad you're all ok. Something like that could've ended badly but I am really happy you made it back safe and sound. Must've been quite an experience.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

yea it was a heck of an experience for sure, hope im lucky enough to avoid another one like it
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Sounds like an adventure. Glad you made it through. You got the blood flowing pretty well it sounds like.

Hope the face heals up nicely and the boat sees better days in the future. You got some pics?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:30 AM

sorry bout your face but happy to hear all turned out ok equipment can be replaced you can't. funny how fast the Ocean can change on ya huh

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM
B&C 140 Class

One scary boat trip!! Glad y'all made it back in. I think myself every time I seen a cloud now for a while I'd haul butt back to the docks!!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
Sounds like an adventure. Glad you made it through. You got the blood flowing pretty well it sounds like.

Hope the face heals up nicely and the boat sees better days in the future. You got some pics?
just added the cobia we caught before it all went down to my fish album, hat hides where i landed pretty well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg952.jpg (95.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntanglergirl View Post
just added the cobia we caught before it all went down to my fish album, hat hides where i landed pretty well
I'm glad to hear all turned out well, except for the motor. Here's a story, somewhat similar in nature, that didn't have such a happy ending. The book is an excellent read, BTW.

Nick Schuyler, lone survivor of NFL players' doomed fishing trip, tells all in book - St. Petersburg Times
Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
B&C 180 Class

WOW, I seriously think you have a plot to a movie on your hands. Wild weekend! But I bet you one thing.. you all will be right back out there next weekend! haha Gotta love it! Congrats on the fish
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 PM
B&C 120 Class

Nice fish, the atlantic ocean certainly is one not to be reckoned with. I live close to the ocean and have had a few bad expieriences but none as intense as yours sounds.