hunting new land need help - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Scrub Buck

Default hunting new land need help

So I got this farmer to let me hunt is farm. But where to start. There is 4 corn feilds all which have woods and swamps near them 2 of the corn feilds also has soy beans where would be the best place to set up my. Stand. Edge offeild swamp woods near feild and swamp pleaase help me out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

Can I come hunt with you? Just kidding, but it sounds like you have a great set up. Try to get out there before the season and scout the bedding and travel areas. Also take note of the prevailing winds. Set up some stands if the farmer will let you, and buy a freezer!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:35 PM

Find a good trail back in the woods away from the fields or near a funnel in the swamps where the water makes a pinch point that the deer have to go through to get to where they're going. Myself, I avoid the field setup because the deer get out there when it's too dark and leave before it's light.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20 View Post
There is 4 corn feilds all which have woods and swamps near them

HUNT RIGHT THERE!!! in the fall, set up a blind or tree stand at the edge of one of these corn/soybean fields. if you bow hunt and there's corn in the field, watch closely around the edges of the corn fields. Typically, BUT NOT ALWAYS, deer will travel around the outside of a corn field. Now beans, they'll go right through the middle of them!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

You did not mention how much acreage, but it sounds pretty big. I'd look now and see if I could find some heavy trails leading to the field edges. Then, starting in late summer, I'd try to set up just to glass and see if I could find some places where deer seem to "appear".

I hunt a very similar area in Kentucky. It's about 250 acres, about half of which is swamp (depending on how wet a year it is) and the other half is a buffer of land surrounding the swampy area. This entire area is surrounded by about 1,000 +/- acres of soybeans and corn, making it a great sanctuary for the deer in that area as there are not a lot of big woodlots, outside "our" swamp.

Find trails adjacent to the swamp and then leading to the crop fields. I way prefer to shoot in the woods, prior to the deer entering the fields personally as I see way many more bucks that way. Most mature bucks, in my experience, seem to prefer to stage up back in the woods for a bit, until near dark or full dark before entering the fields themselves.

Of course, when the rut is on, it's another thing and you may see bucks running across bare, harvested fields at noon time too....
Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 AM

you need to scout the area to locate the travel routes the deer are using.
Take a walk all along the edges to try to see where the most active trails are entering & leaving the fields.
That will be the best way to narrow your stand location down.