does your trail cam afect your hunt? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default does your trail cam afect your hunt?

does your trail camera afect your hunting? i mean for myself i have become more selective of the deer i harvest because of the pics my trail cameras produce were before i started using the cameras i would harvest the bigsest best of what was in front of me at the time to fill the freezer. now, i find myself waiting for the few nice deer im getting steady pics of. have any of the rest of you found your selfs becomeing more selective because of your cameras? i've let some nice 2 year old deer walk caz i knew there were nicer 3 n 4 year old deer there as well. and have found knowing that there is a 105 lb doe in front of me n passing caz i know theres a 120 lb doe there as well, as added a whole new challange to my hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 PM
B&C 100 Class

that's great if you can do that i did that for two years and went home with an empty bag so now i dont pass up many does but i'm still picky with the bucks
Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 AM

I agree su106 NH heard is one of the smallest in the country
we seem to have a bunch of does & few bucks (at least in my area)
I do not pass on a doe to get meat in the freezer then I will try for the big buck as the season draws towards the end I get less picky
Old 12-07-2010, 09:58 AM
B&C 180 Class

I would have to say yes. Before I had trail cameras I only used trails and rubs/scrapes as my hunting site selection. Now, I find those areas where ALOT of deer are traveling and I also figure out which way they are going during the evening and morning. Before, that was just a guessing game!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM

Cameras have helped me in the past but my friend borrowed the 2 I have and lately I've been getting burned on hanging stands on trails that look really hot but come hunting time they are no good. Cameras have shown me what deer to expect to see on a normal basis as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

The other thing I have noticed and learned is that some trails are NIGHT trails that deer use. Therefore, hunting them during the daylight is useless.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
B&C 100 Class

Yep. What Tator said.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

nope, the trail cam simply lets me know what was in the area at one time and/or may still be around.

I will shoot anything at the first available opportunity.

Big racks and bragging rights are a bonus.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 PM

It has affected the all the guys on our lease. Late season several years ago I think most would have shot any decent buck we saw. Now we are all waiting on the big one we are seeing on the camera. Last year 3 of us where lined up on our last day of hunting and 1 of us got him. It makes you stay in the stand longer when you know you got big daddys running around in daylight.

Now dont get me wrong if I saw a wallhanger I would still tag him even though he may not be the biggest in the woods. A trophy is a trophy and I dont have to have the biggest one!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Scrub Buck

I use the trail cameras only to get a good feel for what is there and when. I am the type of hunter that likes to fill my freezer then I become selective on what I take. Where I hunt me and my neighbors have an agreement to let small bucks walk to let them develope. We take does of any size because my area is overrun with them. If you can get the neighboring hunters together you can really manage a large area and get nice bucks in a couple of years.