Unappreciative Hunters - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Unappreciative Hunters

I have several people out to my land every year. This year PRIOR to the season I did all the work. Well, a lot of nice bucks were killed by mainly the ones who just show up, hunt, and leave. They happen to be good friends of mine or so I thought. Now all the bucks are pretty much gone and My friends conveniently go to thier own ground Owned by family that wont let them take anyone else. No more I say. Is it wrong to tell guys to stay home next year who hunt on me every year. ? They dont seem to return the favor when I need it. And these were not little bucks either that were harvested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
B&C 180 Class

HECK no it's not wrong. It's your land, period, end of story. If you are afraid of ending a friendship, then tell them you want to stay off the land for a couple years to let the natural habitat grow back and/or to let the deer have a sanctuary for a couple years before you hunt it again. Then hunt it all you want to by yourself.
If I let one of my buddies come onto MY property that I hunt, I tell them what they can and can't shoot. If there's a BIG buck I'm after (and this year I am, old split tine 9 pointer) I'll flat tell them and show them the buck that they are NOT to take. If they don't like it, then they don't have to come out hunting my property. I think what you need to do is just be more clear to them.
I have a good friend I work with and she and her husband have a rule for anyone who hunts their land. They can't take a buck until they shoot a doe. Period. Even if a MONSTER comes out, if they haven't killed their doe yet, they can't shoot him. Plus, another rule they have is if they kill a buck, it has to be mount worthy. Nothing too small b/c they are trying to get the herd back in order and grow bigger, more mature deer.
your heading hits the nail on the head, "UNAPPRECIATIVE" is exactly right. It's also disrespectful to you. Be more direct w/them. If they hunt there next year tell them, only does. That's just what I would do.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Those who cannot reciprocate and allow you to hunt THEIR land should not be allowed back for even the second season. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right???

No, it is not wrong to tell guys to stay home when they are selfish and think only of themselves. Personal opinion here, that's partly what's wrong in the world today -- too much "It's all about me!" and not enough about sharing the gift's God has given us.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Scrub Buck

Thank you. I let a friend of mind that was cold in my blind while im in it, A 13 point walks out , we are both looking at it thru the scope and he shoots it. I was in shock, still am. Now I asked him If we could go to the farm he hunts because there are BIG bucks over there and he says only family. Your right ! Im done catering to " friends "
Old 11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

ok, that right there tdshunter, is a bunch of CRAP. Nothing more. Absolute CRAP. I would cape the deer and keep it myself if I were you. You need to lay down the law on your land. I think your friends think they can walk all over you, and you have to stand up for yourself and your land. Or else they are going to ruin it for you.
My mouth dropped reading your last post about your "buddy" doing that right beside you. WOW! That is JERK worthy.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
B&C 160 Class

if you do all the work and never get a helping hand heres a secret there not friends there taking advantage of you.if a person i invite to camp causes me one iota of stress i wouldnt even think about inviting them.hunting season is to short to put up with aggravation.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM
B&C 180 Class

I agree with spiker
Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm seeing this slightly different in one area, if I invite a friend to hunt with me and then limit what their allowed to shoot what does that say about me? I probably shouldn't have invited them in the first place. If you don't want them there don't ask them to hunt. Hunting just like life is a two way street, you get to decide which lane you travel in. When I take a friend fishing I don't tell them they can only catch the little ones. One more point, when I take someone hunting/fishing I'm not looking for future rewards just a good day with a buddy. Most times setting a good example pays dividends in the long run. That's how I see life.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
B&C 160 Class

ur rt hm when i take my good friends to camp im just as happy for them if they shoot something.This year i seen two really big bucks and there welcome to them i just think here his friends are taking advantage of him.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 PM

no question he needs new hunting buddies.