Deer Hunting Forums banner

Shots we have taken....

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  o1sick7 
#1 ·
What was your longest shot you have taken? either target or animal? what was it with? how many shots did it take you to hit it?

#4 ·
874 yards. Remington 710 .270 Win. 10" steel target. took me 2 shots to get on target. and was hitting about 7 or 8 times out of 10. bullet was a 135 gr. Sierra Match grade BTHP (handloaded).

#7 ·
I guess the longest shot I've taken at anything is 150 yards. Now if you want to talk about the closest shot, I once took a 5 yard shot at a doe and missed, don't ask me how but I did and if we are ever sitting around a campfire I will tell all. :=)

G
#8 ·
here's a miss for ya. i shot a wood chuck at 510 yards cold shot and it was a small one with the 22.250 and promptly turned around and missed a wood chuck at 90 yards.....twice. here's why. 1 3/4 high at 100 is 15" low at 500. third time i had figured out what was going on.

#10 ·
like i say. anybody can shoot a deer at 200 or 300 yards. but it takes skill to kill one at anything less than 25. my closest shot was probably 10 yards on a doe. from a open top ground blind......with a 270 at that...hahaha.... had to put it down, and grab my mossberg without her seeing me......that was fun... popped the safety off realllllly quick, and by the time i could have pulled the trigger she had her satellites up, her tail waggin', and her eyes on the end of my barrel. and then 2 fawns walked up. put the mossberg back on safety (very quietly) and watched em feed for about 20 minutes. however, i have shot a doe at around 25 or 30 yards and she was pretty big. bagged her.... 142 dressed....

#12 ·
The longest shot at a game animal was 340 yards at an antelope, and I hit it about two inches higher than I was aiming - it dropped dead in its tracks. I usually try to get as close as I can and limit my shots to 300 yards, but this set up was perfect. I had a good rest, no wind, a nice broadside/standing still and slightly up hill. As for target shooting, our range only goes out to 430 yards, and I can hit the gong that's out there with no trouble. My best group was shot last week when I did 5/8 of an inch at 300 with my Model Seven in 300 WSM shooting handloads.

#14 ·
Talk about shots that I wished I could have back --

It would be the time I was trying to take out a raccoon that was on the back porch trying to get at the cat food. Already had my hand on the back door handle when the raccoon waddled up onto the porch. Flipped on the back porch light, yanked the sliding glass door open, thought I had a good hold on the long curtains covering the back door, aimed at the raccoon, and . . .

Yup, you guessed it. Barrel of the little .410 got hung up in the curtains. Blew a hole right through mama's curtain, missed the raccoon, and I get "reminded" of that moment every so often -- whenever she really gets po'd at me.

But back to the story line here --
Don't have the acreage to make any long distance shots, but at least I get a chance to get out there every year to enjoy the sport. About all I can do safely on the property is about 135 - 150 yards. Most of them are in the 80-110 yard range.

Shortest shot? About 30 yards. 9 point dropped several years back. It was during the fall rut and all he had on his mind was the doe he was chasing. They jumped the fence about 20 yards to my left, then crossed in front of me on a well traveled deer trail. Doe didn't stop, but the buck spotted me and paused for a second to take a look. It was all I needed.

Anyone else have any shots they wished they could have back??? <grin>

#20 ·
Longest shot on a deer 268 yards with my model 7 7mm-08. Deer only ran about 30 yards. Toughest shot was when i was 16 my dad was letting me use his 35 rem w/ i think 180 gr bullet. Had a spike and twin 4 pts in front of me inside 100 yards. nice 8 pt comes out at edge of the field about 165 yards. I choose to make the long shot, deer went like 50 yards and dropped. My dad said he furthest he'd ever shot was like 80 yards with that gun. Apparently that was a really good shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.