Help with boots!!! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Scrub Buck

Question Help with boots!!!

I need to buy a pair of good boots this year. I live in Michigan and hunt in extremely cold weather. I have been using pac boots with felt liners (Lacross). Also I have used Mickey mouse boots a few times.
Now here is where I need the help. What is the deal on Thinsulate? 400 grams, 1000 grams, 2400 grams??? Obviously there are the swamp boots, pack boots, and the hicking type boots. The Rockey brand hiking boot lists 1000 grams, a nice pair of Iceman pac boots have 400 grams, even though the pack boots feel much thicker that the Rockey's. On the Sportsmans paradise website, I found a pac boot with 2400 grams and cost under $100.00.
So please give me some feedback ont thinsulate and thickness, and good and bad on the different types of boots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 04:00 PM
ronn

here in nh i where 2 different boots 1000 gram thinsulate rubber boot. this is good for the bulk of the deer season. but rubber is cold. when the temps are really cold i where a waterproof leather codora irish setter with 1600 grams. the thing is not to get your feet sweating with to much thinsulate. if your going to be on the move lighter maybe better. i sit way more these days. i can sit a long time with the 1600 irish setters in 9 degrees and have during our late bow season. dry, not to tight are probably just as important as the amount of thinsulate.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

I use 1000 gram thinsulate Rocky's, I believe they are the Sport Utility Max boots. They keep my feet warm in cold weather yet are very breathable. In really cold weather I always those foot warmers in my boots. I highly recommend the Rocky brand of boots.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:12 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
I use 1000 gram thinsulate Rocky's, I believe they are the Sport Utility Max boots. They keep my feet warm in cold weather yet are very breathable. In really cold weather I always those foot warmers in my boots. I highly recommend the Rocky brand of boots.
i always liked rocky boots. they fit well and weren't to heavy. the only problem i had with them is i couldn't get more than one year out of them before they started to let water in. i've had these irish setters 3 years and i even snow shoe in them and they're still going strong.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

Rocky's are great and you can add Arctic Shield boot covers when things get really cold. Rocky's or equivalent will give you more support and mobility. Rubber is fine in most temps but the 3 things against them is they are heavy, bulky, and if your feet sweat much you will freeze in anything under 20 deg. on a all day sit.

I love rubber for scent control but have switched to Rocky's because of rubber's down sides. Spray your Rocky's down with scent killer and you will be fine. I live in Md. so my temps are not as bad as yours but my feet seem to be extra sensitive to cold so I use 800 grams plus boot covers with zero problems.

Rubber wore me out plus a additional problem I found was using my climber they made it very difficult. That is a huge problem that no hunter needs or wants.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
i always liked rocky boots. they fit well and weren't to heavy. the only problem i had with them is i couldn't get more than one year out of them before they started to let water in. i've had these irish setters 3 years and i even snow shoe in them and they're still going strong.
I use my Rocky's for just about everything. I think this will be their 3rd season and they're still waterproof. There is a small cut in the side of one of them from barbwire that does let a little water in if you stand in it.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 PM
ronn

yup i wore rockys for years and years and every year it was get a new pair. don't know why just they would start to leak and wet feet are cold feet. i think it was in the gortex bootie. it would just give up. but they were great while new.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 PM

I have 1000 gram Rocky Buckstalker rubber boots and do fine on most cold days but I use the Arctic Shield boot covers over them when it is ridiculously cold out. Have you tried the Cabelas, Basspro, or Sportmans Guide websites? There's always something good in there.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
I have 1000 gram Rocky Buckstalker rubber boots and do fine on most cold days but I use the Arctic Shield boot covers over them when it is ridiculously cold out. Have you tried the Cabelas, Basspro, or Sportmans Guide websites? There's always something good in there.
the cabelas, redhead's, were made by rocky at one point. i don't know if they still are.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:15 PM
B&C 140 Class

hunting Florida and Georgia, we don't the cold that y'all do, but it still gets chilly. and cold feet will make for a miserable hunt. Bow season and most of gun, i just wear my snake boots. Have owned Rocky snake boots and still do. don't much care for them , but for the price. The soles on their snake boots will start coming off in a season or two. then it is time to get the Gorilla glue out. In the winter, especially in georgia, when the thermometer is in the teens, i wear a pair of Danner, FT. Lewis boots. Thinsulted and Gor-Tex.