Deer Hunting Forums banner

Help with boots!!!

7K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  spiker 
#1 ·
I need to buy a pair of good boots this year. I live in Michigan and hunt in extremely cold weather. I have been using pac boots with felt liners (Lacross). Also I have used Mickey mouse boots a few times.
Now here is where I need the help. What is the deal on Thinsulate? 400 grams, 1000 grams, 2400 grams??? Obviously there are the swamp boots, pack boots, and the hicking type boots. The Rockey brand hiking boot lists 1000 grams, a nice pair of Iceman pac boots have 400 grams, even though the pack boots feel much thicker that the Rockey's. On the Sportsmans paradise website, I found a pac boot with 2400 grams and cost under $100.00.
So please give me some feedback ont thinsulate and thickness, and good and bad on the different types of boots!

G
#2 ·
here in nh i where 2 different boots 1000 gram thinsulate rubber boot. this is good for the bulk of the deer season. but rubber is cold. when the temps are really cold i where a waterproof leather codora irish setter with 1600 grams. the thing is not to get your feet sweating with to much thinsulate. if your going to be on the move lighter maybe better. i sit way more these days. i can sit a long time with the 1600 irish setters in 9 degrees and have during our late bow season. dry, not to tight are probably just as important as the amount of thinsulate.

G
#4 ·
i always liked rocky boots. they fit well and weren't to heavy. the only problem i had with them is i couldn't get more than one year out of them before they started to let water in. i've had these irish setters 3 years and i even snow shoe in them and they're still going strong.

#5 ·
Rocky's are great and you can add Arctic Shield boot covers when things get really cold. Rocky's or equivalent will give you more support and mobility. Rubber is fine in most temps but the 3 things against them is they are heavy, bulky, and if your feet sweat much you will freeze in anything under 20 deg. on a all day sit.

I love rubber for scent control but have switched to Rocky's because of rubber's down sides. Spray your Rocky's down with scent killer and you will be fine. I live in Md. so my temps are not as bad as yours but my feet seem to be extra sensitive to cold so I use 800 grams plus boot covers with zero problems.

Rubber wore me out plus a additional problem I found was using my climber they made it very difficult. That is a huge problem that no hunter needs or wants.

G
#7 ·
yup i wore rockys for years and years and every year it was get a new pair. don't know why just they would start to leak and wet feet are cold feet. i think it was in the gortex bootie. it would just give up. but they were great while new.

#10 ·
hunting Florida and Georgia, we don't the cold that y'all do, but it still gets chilly. and cold feet will make for a miserable hunt. Bow season and most of gun, i just wear my snake boots. Have owned Rocky snake boots and still do. don't much care for them , but for the price. The soles on their snake boots will start coming off in a season or two. then it is time to get the Gorilla glue out. In the winter, especially in georgia, when the thermometer is in the teens, i wear a pair of Danner, FT. Lewis boots. Thinsulted and Gor-Tex.

#11 ·
I've been using 1000 gram thinsulate rubber boots for years in "extreme" cold temperatures, sometimes as cold as -20 degrees.
My feet usually stay warm enough to handle several hours of hunting but my face, ears and nose are usually what fail first.
I try not to over-dress my feet, I usually wear lightweight socks in rubber boots but I carry extra socks just in case.
I see a lot of guys over-dress their feet with thick woolrich socks but too much sock causes sweating and sweating leads to cold feet.

Another tip that helps when cold feet becomes an issue in extreme cold temps is to wear a pair of womans knee high (nylon socks)
"UNDER" your regular socks, doesnt sound very manly but while the other guys are huddled around the woodstove you're still out stalking the Bucks! :whistling:

#12 ·
I use lacrosse 800 thinsulate boots for most hunting and switch to 2000 gram cabela's boots for late season hunting when it's really cold. I use a liner sock under wool to pass sweat to the outer sock. Danner makes some of the very best boots out there but their price is pretty steep.

G
#13 ·
danner is a good boot. danner, carolinas, irish setter, lacross all great boots. i actually picked up another pair of irish setters 1400 grams of thinsulate the other day. they were on sale and size 13 is sometimes hard to come by.

#18 ·
Once I took a friend hunting in the snow when we came across some tracks. He said HOLY ---- look at the size of this guys feet trespassing on your property man I would not like to try to run him out of here. It was at that point he saw my pac boots. We both laughed until tears came down our faces.:w00t:

#19 ·
I'm also in the market for a new pair of boots this year. I had a pair of irish setter boots that I paid around $120 for that worked great for one fall/winter hunting season but the goretex failed to keep my feet dry the next spring turkey season and following deer season. I had to switch to my $30 dollar walmart waterproof insulated leather boots (brahma's the brand) and they served me well for two full years of use. Hunting, hiking, working outside. They seemed to keep me warmer, dryer, and more comfortable than the more expensive boots. I'm not sure what i'll get this year but that some personal experience.

#20 ·
I have beeen wearing Cabelas outfitter boots with 1000 grams of thinsulate for years. I wear the 200 gram outfitters in the warmer months.The leather is Picard leather that is also treated to add to the goretex waterproofing. I wear the same boots (different pairs) for my work in a municipal job year round. Never had any problems and the hunting boots last two or three years. Cost for the 1000 gram is $150.00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.