Deer Hunting Forums banner

Pain

8K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 ·
A lot of us here have some sort of injury, pre-post surgery, physical issues that makes for a bad day or in many cases hinders our ability to enjoy the outdoor activities we so dearly want to do. I am worried that one more neck surgery will pretty much take out my archery hunting as neck motion will be down to about 20% of normal, which might be ok if the darn pain level goes down. 2 weeks ago I had to leave work for the first time ever, as mentally, things just shut down. So after all that complaining here's the question: How do you all deal with severe pain and how has it impacted your hunting? I try to use as little pain meds as possible and use a lot of ice like this morning, but things are degrading and not much fun. TG started the complaining post so I guess I'm just venting too! Really tired of pain and not to sure of the immediate future regarding physical activities. Today is just one of those bad days.:yucky: Sorry to unload!

#2 ·
I'm in constant pain with my ankle, I shattered my left Talus bone in 1988 and lost 95% of the blood supply to that bone. I was told by an orthapedic expert, Dr. Roger Mann, I believe he's from California that nothing could be done medically to repair my injury, basically what he said was If you baby your ankle you may be able to keep your foot for life but if you beat your ankle up you're most likely going to have the foot amputated at some point, I went from being VERY active to doing very little but eventually learning to redo some things differently like hunting.
I cant/dont tackle hunting situations that I know I cant handle any longer like hunting mountains which I think I was best at, I avoid locations that require long/or lots of walkiing. I do sometimes use tree stands but that really causes a lot of pain so I stay on the ground for the most part, My 4 wheeler is my best tool but now many land owners are closing down their lands from 4 wheelers because of the actions of the few idiots who care less about ruining it for anyone else. I try to pattern my hunts according to where I'm hunting and how I'm hunting that day but deer never cooperate some days I'll walk too far which means the next day I'm struggling to get out of bed becuse my ankle's become so swollen which means another late start or worse not even being able to get out that day.
Because of my love for hunting I'm going to make every effort to be in the woods as much as possible..

After all I've learned from my past hunts my present and future hunts are now smarter hunts not harder hunts. :coffee:

#29 ·
I'm not sure exactly which bones are what but my dad had "ankle replacement surgery" maybe this is an option for you. It is relatively new surgery but i will tell you get it sooner than later if it is an option. At 35 years old i got a total shoulder replacement, i was told for 10 years i was too young to wait and put it off, i wish i had insisted they do it because i am pretty much pain free.

#3 ·
I guess I have benn fortunate that I don't suffer from the injuries some do. Just a little stiff shoulder that I have to baby. I just have to make sure I practice with the bow early and often to be ready for the season. Which remionds me I need to start shooting.

G
#4 ·
i got back issues from a life of busting my rear building. i take 4 motrin pm evry night in order to be able to move the next day. unlike some others i'll take the drugs if needed. flexral, but i do try other things first.

#8 ·
Pain and I are old friends.Bone spurs in my heal and arthritis in my neck along with three other recent shoulder surgeries I hate taking presription drugs. I do eat four advil (2 pm,2reg.) every night for years and I'm paying dearly for it. I too have to manage it better, SOON!!!!!!! Very , very soon!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
While we are on this subject, has anybody ever used Fish Oil (gelcap)? I started using these a few weeks ago and have noticed quite a difference in joint pain relief. There is another pill out there that lubes up the joints or makes a thin film on the joints to relieve the pain. Not sure of the name though.

#10 ·
sorry i did not notice this post before. one thing that i would recomend to anyone living with cronic pain, talk to your doc about Valterin gel. its a perscription tipical cream that you rub on the skin were your pain it. i have found it to be more affective than any of my old pain killers (vicoden, perkiset, flexeril, well you get the idea). i hated thoughs pain killers, and fianly refused to take them any more.

#13 ·
huntnh I think you mean Voltaren Gel, If it is, you might want to reconsider using voltaren Gel after reading the following U.S.FDA warning..

Voltaren Gel
Generic Name: diclofenac sodium
Dosage Form: gel

WARNING: CARDIOVASCULAR AND GASTROINTESTINAL RISK
Cardiovascular Risk

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may increase with duration of use. Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].

Voltaren® Gel is contraindicated for the treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery

NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal. These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events.

#18 ·
Sorry i have been gone so long guys
I,ve been crying over my food plots for a while :bag: ....Beer seams to help but its short term
If i have a pain in the morning i take a alieve and go on with it
What bothers me is i got to put on some wally world glasses to read small stuff this now

#21 · (Edited)
First off there's no such thing as medicinal marijuana, Many doctors have said it isn't and shouldn't be prescribed as a medicine for any ailment.
Some Cancer patients have enjoyed using it habitually because they say it eases their pain for short periods which would be the same as drinking alcohol and
getting drunk and re drunk and re drunk over and over again it's the same scenario..

No I don't think legalizing marijuana is a good idea at all, We already have enough problems with Alcohol abuse in this country,
adding problems to the already existing problems doesn't seem very logical to me.

P.S. would you want to be hunting around other hunters who might be getting high if pot was legal? :crazy:

#23 ·
The one thing a terminal patient can hope for is a strong immune system but according to the Director (Nora D. Volkow, M.D.) of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

Dr. Volkow says, "The use of marijuana can produce adverse physical, mental, emotional, and behavioral changes, and - contrary to popular belief - it can be addictive.
Marijuana smoke, like cigarette smoke, can harm the lungs. The use of marijuana can impair short-term memory, verbal skills, and judgment and distort perception. It also may weaken the immune system and possibly increase a user's likelihood of developing cancer.
Finally, the increasing use of marijuana by very young teens may have a profoundly negative effect upon their development."

I used to think that medicinal marijuana might be a good idea until I learned more about the studies that have been done and their fact findings.

#24 ·
I agree I would not want to be in the woods with someone stoned for one how would you ever see a deer when all you would hear in the woods is bags of chips & twinkee wrapers being opened when I wrecked my shoulder last year it was physical therapy, 800mgs of Ibuprofen & rest now just Ibuprofen few times a week & muscle rebuilding no issues with it now was back to shooting the bow daily in a little over a month

#25 ·
im not advocating using pot and hunting,but if someone is terminal who cares what the doctor says.these same doctors tell me take 3 loritab a day and have a zanax at bed.now thats not gonna eat up my guts and become addictive.doctors put their pants on like you and me their word isnt gospel.i take nothing and i dont believe everything they say.if i destroyed my liver from their rx do u think they would own up to it.

#28 · (Edited)
no i absolutly do not want anyone out in the woods hunting stoned near me. but do you think pot is the only way someone can get stoned? what makes any of us think that the guy hunting down the street is not hunting wile takeing his perscriptions (IE. vicoden, perkiset, oxycotton, any muscle relaxers). i almost dare to say that the chances of someone going out into the woods to hunt on pot are much less than the perscriptions mentioned above because you can take them with out the deer smelling you from 10 miles away. i am for the legalization of pot for medicinal perposes. (not so some teenage punks can get stoned)

#32 ·
For those of y'all that think Aleve (Naproxen) is the best pain reliever since aspirin, I'd take a good read at the following article. Here's just the first para and here's the website to read the rest of it -- NAPROXIN CAUSED 50% more CORONARY events than placebo

WASHINGTON - A study testing whether Celebrex or naproxen would reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease (news - web sites) was halted Monday after researchers noted an increase in heart attack and stroke among participants who were taking naproxen, an over-the-counter pain reliever on the market for nearly 30 years.

Basically, I blew out my lower back (shattering L5/S1, rupturing L4/L5 disks in lower back) in 1989. Since then, I've relearned how to lift things and how not to. I have a lot of good days and some not so good days and mostly just live with whatever level of pain that I have at the time. There are no 'pain free' days, just less pain than others. Sleeping is different, too, requiring a modified sleep position with one knee or the other pulled up as high as it goes to relieve the pressure on the lower back. Meds, even over the counter ones, are not an option either as the long term side effects of most of them aren't worth the temporary relief.

"They" said I would have to have my back fused after about 10 yrs to relieve the pain. That 10 yr period was up about 11 yrs ago and I still haven't had that operation, nor do I want to have it, either. So, what do I do? I wake up every morning grateful/thankful to have another day to spend with the wife and kids. Someone once said that pain is just another way of letting us know that we're alive. Well, with the way I feel some days, I am definitely alive with the way my back pain is flaring up.

Hope this can be of some consolation for someone -- basically, my $.02 worth on the subject. <grin>

RR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.