Simple things - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Simple things

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a thrill out of watching a hunting show or video and watching them cook a meal in a small, dumpy cabin more than the ones that are in a $300,000 log cabin with trophy mounts all over the place. And I usually love watching someone shoot a little 6 point if it looks like it was hard earned. It's much better than those 180 class bucks that are shot in a fenced in ranch.

Maybe it's because growing up in Western and Northern Michigan, the hunting pressure was so bad during gun season that a 6 point really did feel like a trophy.

And our hunting cabin, untill recently, had no indoor plumbing, just a two hole outhouse. There were so many guys that when I was finally old enough to stay there, I would sleep under the table so I wouldn't get trampelled by all of the old timers marching out for their midnight piss.

And you know what, those are some of my best memories of all time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 PM
B&C 140 Class

No, it's not just you. Although lots of guys might want the fancy-shmancy luxury accommodations and a sure-thing "no-kill, no pay" experience, there are lots more who appreciate having the real deal hunt. At least that's how I feel. I've had several outfitted hunts which were worth the money - not canned or fenced and a lot of hard hunting, but they weren't the same as a DIY hunt. Putting up a tent and freezing the night away in a sleeping bag, or staying in a cabin and taking your turn getting up and putting wood in the stove every couple of hours, or taking turns cooking. And the best part is sharing the experience with your best friend or family member. Hell, you might even put the frosting on the cake by taking an animal... although that wouldn't have HAD to happen for you to have had a great time!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 PM

I always get a kick out of hunting shows especially the ones that show the reality of a missed shot or being busted by a wary game animal. I still get that way with videos that I've had for a long time too. The old banged up cabin/camp is great to see too because it gives a sense of roughing it and kind of relying on what was taken in the wild.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM
ronn

i'd stay in a pup tent and live on poptarts if it was, what i would call, a good hunt, which really would take much.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default nothing like a shack

You guys are spot on.My old hunting partners left for greener pastures fancy cabin(no atmosphere).I got a trailer,piece of property,met some salt of the earth guys(neighbors) from P.A. and have never looked back.The company makes the hunt not the material things.P'ing outside,One pot cooking,taking a shower with a five gallon bucket, wouldnt trade it for the world.One other thing hunting like this you'll never get any phonies in camp.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 07-20-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

The basics is what its all about. you get a better sense of accomplishment when you rough it and succeed. I feel that to many hunters are succumbing to the fancy life and getting away from the basics of hunting. To me the hunt is about good times and good friends , not three course meals and a candy on your pillow.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
ronn

but i like candy grin
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 PM
B&C 100 Class

who's she ?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default instant gratification

these shows do an injustice to young hunters.Kids expect to shoot a 12pt in 15mins.My 1st deer was a small 4pt that i got on state land,in a spot i picked out,and i couldnt of been prouder.Furthermore i no guys who watch all these shows and think a 120 or 130 in new york isnt a big deer.they fail to realize there not in texas on a 8000 acre ranch.I guess i just think this stuff is more of a negative in my opinion.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 PM

Hunting tradition to me means sharing a good hunt in whatever style you choose. I've done tailgate noon lunches, heating snow coffee at 5* outside in late season archery in the UP of Michigan. I'll take these hunts over watching any video every time. Also, many times a one horn spike was the camp trophy! Memories are what count. I really don't watch too many tv shows as in my view doesn't represent the norm, you and I, day in and day out. I wouldn't mind being in their shoes sometimes but not happening for me. As we have said many times here, a trophy is what you decide to make it!