Simple things - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
I think another reason for the shortage of youth hunters is because of what hunting seems to be turning into.
Hunting shows rarely emphasize traditional values
most of them shows focus on one thing and one thing only, "Antler size and scoring" Then you got the hunters that
get trapped into the shows beliefs and spread more glamour about horn hunting.
as far as the high dollar hunts with greedy outfitters their major concern is Antler size also.
It is a RARE thing to watch a hunting show that focuses on Hunting Traditions, Family values, Hunting ethics...
The Hunting Heritage was about hunting game animals for table fare it was never about hanging antlers.
You know what else is really upsetting but happens, The fact that many guys that go on those paid "Outfitter" hunts,
and don't even bring home the meat they harvest,,, their only purpose for their paid hunt was to shoot a wall hanger
and I know I'm not the only one uncomfotable with that.

Is that what the new hunting traditions are going to turn into? Is that going to become the new hunting Heritage?
Are those the new customs and practices we want to pass along to the next generation of hunters?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with game mounts, but the facts behind some mounts depend on the circumstances surrounding the harvest.

Ronn you have to understand that it isn't bashing or belittling an outfitter when you share the facts.
I Personally haven't ever said one thing about an outfitter that wasn't a fact.
not fact bb. your perception/opinion. how many paid or guided hunts have you been on? and it is belittling that type of hunt because you, everyone, are saying its ruining hunting. just flat out not true. keeping a tradition alive and teaching the kids isn't someone else's job its the parents. there are a lot of things that people blame on outside influences but it still boils down to the mentor, parent to teach what they believe to be right to their own charge. time constraints may force folks to hunt with these guys. who knows and who cares its their reasons , so be it. and traditionally killing an animal was just for the meat. folks also raised a pig or cow in the back yard for the same reason that to has changed with the times, not completely but a lot. no one is saying you, by you i mean those that look down their noses at others, have to like the way others choose to do things.

these posts have been just short of saying that ain't hunting. who am i or you or anyone else to say whats right for the next guy. i can respect a persons feelings about such things but these posts are belittling based on prejustices and misconceptions. either that or just plain sour grapes.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM
B&C 160 Class

I agree with the fact that kids these days are more concerned with the latest video game release than they are with the newest bow release. I think it is also that kids are not being taught hunting because their dad may have used to hunt but quit many years ago. I wish I had a dollar for all the avid hunters I used to know that just won't get out of bed to go hunting anymore.

They are the same ones that are calling me now to see if I can take their grandson hunting. Which I am glad to do but it is not the same as when I was a kid when me and my brothers couldn't sleep at night thinking about opening day. We would plan for six months for a week long trip on the mountain.

I think loss of hunting grounds has a lot to do with it to. When I was old enough to take a shotgun hunting me and my buddies would just leave out the door and if the nieghbors saw us out in their fields or in their woods hunting they wouldn't care. We didn't have to ask, we just had to close the gates behind us.

It's a different world today.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default paid hunts

Ronn i dont think bb is saying outfitted hunts are altogether bad,i think he just pointed out a couple of aspects he is uncomfortable with.Who wouldnt want to chase big bucks in alberta or pike county.I would love to go on one of these hunts.We all are on the same team and like it or not these days hunting is big business.Hunting is the biggest money making hobby there is it just surpassed golf.I must admit the commercialization of it is a little disheartening to me but thats the age we live in.We all have the right to disagree but we are all hunters and have to stick together.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:04 PM
ronn

buckshot, i agree. those were great days. in some places its still more or less the same but not many.

i'm not sure if its really a loss of hunting ground, there are lots of acres in every state that is open to public hunting. i believe its more to do with the time and effort it takes to hunt these days/lands. as well as, time constrants and every day life's demans. its like i said before if one wants to bad enough they can make it happen.

me? i just hate those stupid games or learned to. if they were used in moderation they can be fun. i guess our parents said the same about tv when we finally got more than 3 channels.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Ronn i dont think bb is saying outfitted hunts are altogether bad,i think he just pointed out a couple of aspects he is uncomfortable with.Who wouldnt want to chase big bucks in alberta or pike county.I would love to go on one of these hunts.We all are on the same team and like it or not these days hunting is big business.Hunting is the biggest money making hobby there is it just surpassed golf.I must admit the commercialization of it is a little disheartening to me but thats the age we live in.We all have the right to disagree but we are all hunters and have to stick together.
big thumbs up.

but some have flat out said that these places are ruining hunting and teaching or kids bad things. it ain't so. these post bad mouthing these type hunts, especailly from folks that never have been on one, is doing the splitting. and i'll call anyone on it if they bad mouth the way some one else chosses to hunt, because you are 100% correct we shouldn't be splitting up hunting groups. we got enough trouble with the anti's and the slob hunters.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM
ronn

spike, have you looked at the articles under the dhc team. if not check out the thing i wrote "who's ruining hunting". check out the all articles that bb, hm, etd, onehorse, and i wrote as well. pretty good stuff i think.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default pack mentality

Ronn i will look those up,furthermore in my short time on this forum i think we have knowledgeable sportsman and i enjoy our forum.That stated our rights and hunting (gun control) are under attack.No matter what petty disagreements we have we need to stand together strong.Anything less and were playing right into their hands.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
B&C 100 Class

When I started this post I wasn't trying to bash outfitters or people that go after trophys, I would love to go on a guided hunt if I could afford it. I was just stating that it's also nice to see someone take a smaller buck and, I guess, hunt the way I grew up hunting. Anyway, it looks like this topic strikes a nerve with a lot of people. Good conversation.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:57 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparta mi dlv View Post
When I started this post I wasn't trying to bash outfitters or people that go after trophys, I would love to go on a guided hunt if I could afford it. I was just stating that it's also nice to see someone take a smaller buck and, I guess, hunt the way I grew up hunting. Anyway, it looks like this topic strikes a nerve with a lot of people. Good conversation.
i hear ya. i'm a working man, like most. i sometimes wonder how i'm going to deal with this bill or that expense. i started thread a quite a while back about trying to pay for such a trip. i don't get a payed vaca. i was helping one of my kids in college, normal bills, surprise bills, trying to keep things afloat. and i managed to work it out over about a 4 year period, no regrets. i'll manage it again some day as well as other hunts. that said i'm happy doing the 400 dollar hunts i do and hunting at home which probably costs me close to 400. i look at things this way. i'm only here once and i'm going to do what i need to, to get the most out of it while i can. some folks are comfortable where they are, and doing what is easier to do, i'm looking to reach higher, have better, do better, work harder at local hunting, learn more, enjoy more all the time. settling sucks but we all have to do it. sacrificing this to get that is just plain life and we all choose what is what.

Last edited by ronn; 07-21-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparta mi dlv View Post
The simple things in life are best. I always heard "The Grass is Greener on the Other Side of the Fence" but that's coz of all the bullcrap there. I will enjoy my accomplishments here even after I go with an outfitter or whatever. After all, who am I trying to please?