Simple things - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default tradition

your rt and i agree.Ill tell you the first trophies i go after every year are two does preferably 1.5 yrs of age.The trophy is when i can take the back straps from behind their ears all the way down to the hind end because its so tender.Im not ashamed of this ,then ill wait for horns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 PM
ronn

again it looks that maybe some guys a bashing or belittling these higher dollar hunts or spending $$ to hunt, or the outfitters these tv shows are using.

true its not the same as 99% of us hunters hunt but they're not bad or a bad thing. the guys that stayed with us in our "cabin" were a hoot. 2 guys from nj another from wiss, my buddy from md and me from nh. during dinner and after it was story after story a bunch of good natured ribbing of each other and we had never met or talked before. i was invited to go offshore fishing by one of the guys from nj that chartered for a living. we'd talk about the differences in the hunting we did back home. what we were seeing. other hunts in other states, how rank that fart was, probably pretty much the same things talked about at a local hunting camp. so great company, great conversation, saw some magazine cover deer. hunted hard for 5.5 days, could have killed deer, saw what an operation like that works like. that was pretty interesting in its self.

if you've never been on one its pretty hard to tell what they are. it for sure truly ain't captured in 10 mins of a tv show, allowing 20 mins for ads, although they seem to almost always mention the comradery on the shows.

i'm pretty sure i'd have a good time no mater the accommodations, food, and such as long as i'm hunting, enjoying the company, and it ain't raining buckets every second.

just saying. oh and there wasn't any candy on the pillow. dang it

Last edited by ronn; 07-20-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 PM

ronn, what you describe is what hunting camp is every year for me and its what makes hunting so enjoyable. The only difference is generally its the same group we just catch up on stories over the past year. Sometimes I only see my buddies one week out of the year.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

I LOVE the U P. That is some seriously remote country. I could be really content living there, but I don't thing my wife would feel the same way.

I went bird hunting at a friends cabin up there a couple of years ago. I met a couple of neighbor boys that watch over the place and within an hour I felt like we were best friends and that I had known them all my life. It's great meeting good people when you travel.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default family hunts

I agree with all this but the one thing we cant dispute is the breakdown of family hunting traditions being passed down is the biggest reason in the decline of hunters.Ronn and hunting man i am 39 yrs old the only person i can pass this down to now is my god son, times were different back then and hunting just doesnt exist like it used to.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 AM

Another reason for the youth shortage in hunting is electronic games, kids don't want to get out of the house anymore. Sports also has taken away hunting/fishing, with the kids not allowed to miss practice or can't play if they go on a hunting /fishing trip. I see very few to none youth hunting in PA anymore, used to be the woods was full of them.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM
B&C 140 Class

YA know, I attribute it to the loss of the rural way of life and hunting is only a small part of it. And I'm not talking about living outside of town. The way of life in a rural community is fading fast. Our world grows smaller and smaller everyday and it's almost to the point where you don't have to live in the city to be city folk. I think hunting prospers best when handed down from grneration to generation and parents don't do that much anymore. Too many other things available to young people today. There was a time when hunting wasn't a choice but just something that most people did. If you didn't, you didn't, if you did you did, no big deal. Now it seems you have to make a choice.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:01 AM

I think another reason for the shortage of youth hunters is because of what hunting seems to be turning into.
Hunting shows rarely emphasize traditional values
most of them shows focus on one thing and one thing only, "Antler size and scoring" Then you got the hunters that
get trapped into the shows beliefs and spread more glamour about horn hunting.
as far as the high dollar hunts with greedy outfitters their major concern is Antler size also.
It is a RARE thing to watch a hunting show that focuses on Hunting Traditions, Family values, Hunting ethics...
The Hunting Heritage was about hunting game animals for table fare it was never about hanging antlers.
You know what else is really upsetting but happens, The fact that many guys that go on those paid "Outfitter" hunts,
and don't even bring home the meat they harvest,,, their only purpose for their paid hunt was to shoot a wall hanger
and I know I'm not the only one uncomfotable with that.

Is that what the new hunting traditions are going to turn into? Is that going to become the new hunting Heritage?
Are those the new customs and practices we want to pass along to the next generation of hunters?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with game mounts, but the facts behind some mounts depend on the circumstances surrounding the harvest.

Ronn you have to understand that it isn't bashing or belittling an outfitter when you share the facts.
I Personally haven't ever said one thing about an outfitter that wasn't a fact.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Another reason for the youth shortage in hunting is electronic games, kids don't want to get out of the house anymore. Sports also has taken away hunting/fishing, with the kids not allowed to miss practice or can't play if they go on a hunting /fishing trip. I see very few to none youth hunting in PA anymore, used to be the woods was full of them.
bingo ding ding ding ding. you win a cookie
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default traditions

I agree with bruce,hunting is so convoluted now.On some of these forums you read guys shoot 18 deer etc.Who needs to shoot 18 deer thats not hunting.The way i was taught if i shot a deer it was to consume it.I dont see enough respect for the animal whether its a doe,spike, 4pt, or 12pt.Whatever i harvest i am grateful and its the same feeling now matter antlersize.