strange sound, finally pinned it down - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:12 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default strange sound, finally pinned it down

This goes back just over 25 years ago. occasionally when entering the woods, as I did quite frequently back then as a photographer, I would hear a sound. it sounded like a distant woodpecker working a tree somewhat muted. I would only hear the sound once though and never could pinpoint where it came from or what made it. over the past 25 years, I woukd occasionally hear this sound with the same results. till last fall. I took a friday off to go set up my stand and decided to do a little scouting. I entered a pretty good stand of mature oaks when I heard that sound. not thinking too much about it I continued scouting when some movement cought my eye. I was in full camo and froze up as a fairly nice 8 pointer casually trudged my way. I could have remained still and probably ended up getting gored or an illegal buck with a knife(yeah, that would have happened).

The point I am making is the sound I have been hearing for so long was that of a buck as I encroached on his territory. It is not the sound that the grunt calls produce. as a matter of fact I have never heard any game calls produce that sound, till now. and I have a lot of deer calls. I have messed around with one of my doe calls and actually gotten the call to produce the bucks (I like to think of it as a bucks location call). Anyway, I cant wait to try it out this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 12:59 AM
B&C 100 Class

That sounds cool, crazy how you may hear a sound for so long but never know what it is. This spring I just found out what sound a chipmunk makes but I know I've heard it hundreds of times in the past years.

And about the illegal buck with a knife - can you get away with it if it was purely out of self defense (the buck was about to gore you to death)? I have wondered that myself, cause if I was attacked by a deer I would do anything to kill it.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

well , the legality of it would be highly debatable and could go either way depending on the mental disposition of the investgating game officer.

first off, killing any game animal in self defense is undisputabley legal even out of season. your story needs to be concrete though.
the problem in my situation though is, technically you are disallowed to carry a knife in the conservation district property as stated by signage at the enterance. off course knives, bows and arrows etc are allowed during hunting hours as we given special writen permission forms which are to be carried while hunting. This occasion as I stated however was on the friday prior to the weekend hunt while scouting and hanging my stand. I could argue the fact that I never enter any woods without a knife and that recent reports of cougar sightings further strengthen my claims to be armed defensively.

But even armed with a razor sharp knife, given the oppertunity to decline a physical confrontation with a deer like this buck, I'll take the submissive posture and back away. Consider for a second that you can shoot a deer in the vitals with an arrow and he still has enough power/adrenolin to run in some cases over a hundred yards before expiring. the video you have probably seen on you tube where the guy is getting stomped by a buck, that deer was not going all out, if that deer was bent on doing some damage the horn would have been lowered and a real assault would have taken place.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 AM

So whats the sound??
Old 07-18-2010, 02:12 AM
B&C 100 Class

I guess if the knife wasn't allowed on the specific land then the legality would definitely be debatable. but killing out of self-defense whether in or out of season, and whether with a legal or illegal means of killing it, should be waived at least. I guess some wardens will side with the deer which is showing a favor for the animal over our own species which doesn't make sense to me. I've heard of the "it was there first and you intruded its territory" mentality and it doesn't make sense. Maybe the deer were there first but as a living species we have the right to use our survival instinct too.

Just my 2 cents and a bit off topic....back to the sound you heard, as buckfever asked, What is it like, maybe in more detail?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:38 AM
B&C 140 Class

I'll try to make a recording of it and save it as mp3. then I will post it here. Someone else may have heard this and say, I've heard that before or all the time. But I have never heard another person replicate it with a call and factory set calls will not produce the sound.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 AM
B&C 160 Class

definatly get the recording if you can i hear what sounds like what you are describing alot in the woods and never knew what it was.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

Hope this works.

buck location sound.zip
Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

didnt work for me
Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM

it worked for me.