What is necessary..... - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
Am I really the only guy here who carries a small first-aid kit?!!
nope, its got a compass whistle and weather proof matches along with the foil blankets
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 12:57 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I have a feeling you get a little farther away from the truck than most of us Onehorse.
I'm usually within 3 or 4 miles of the truck, but I might be 25 miles from the nearest small town (if you want to call it that), and up until about 2 years ago, I might hunt alone as far as 200 miles from home (I'm not sure how smart that ever is). But I believe everyone should have some kind of first-aid stuff with them in the field, no matter how close they may be to the truck or home. There are just too many things that can go really wrong really fast when one is carrying guns, knives, arrows, and walking around in the dark, climbing trees, etc. Even sticking hands and arms into the insides of dead deer can result in a bad cut from a razor-sharp jagged-edged broken bone.
The kit I carry is 6 in. by 4 in. by 1 1/2 in. and probably weighs about 6 ounces. It's made by "Lifeline" and has just about anything you might ever need in an emergency situation. I think it costs about 7 bucks - damn cheap insurance, if you ask me.

Last edited by onehorse; 05-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

Oh, I'm sorry
first response kit / first aid kit
Old 05-30-2010, 01:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

I always have one when we got on overnite / camping hunts. But drivin out to the farm to hunt, nah. You're never far from anything here.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:13 PM
B&C 160 Class

due to fisical limitations i verry rarly am more than 1/4 mile from my vehical, and often withing 100 yards
Old 05-30-2010, 04:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

Two years ago I took a wilderness first aid course through boy scouts to prepair for a trip into the BWCAW and to satisfy BSA requirements at the time. It was a great course and really made you think good and hard about haveing a medical emergency in a remote location. being prepared for anything is an absolute must.

Regardless of how far from the vehicle you are when hunting, you should have some form of first aid kit with you. You should also have some form of applicable training in using first aid. CPR, treating shock victoms controlling bleeding at all levels etc. You are not always the only one in the field and may be called upon to treat another. and carrying someone even 100 yds with 6 people on a flat surface with a tarp is a grueling task.
compound the fact it may only be you and one other person in a wooded terrain and it becomes a nightmare and a posible causualty. you cannot always rely on cell tower triangulation on a 911 call either. some remote towns do not have those capabilties yet. and try explaining to emergency services just where you are in the woods if you dont have gps or they dont.

Last edited by Predator; 05-30-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:01 PM

I have a pretty good first aid box I keep in my truck. Might not be able to do major surgery but well equiped. I figure my small 25' rope would take care of most really bad bleeds in the woods. One thing thats handy is super glue. This has closed up many small/ moderate wounds in my past, keep some in the kit, tackle box, gun box.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:14 PM
B&C 140 Class

super glue is great for that! actually that is initially what super glue was invented for.

Forget the rope, assuming you are refering to a torniquet.
99.999% of all bleeding injuries can be controlled by direct pressure.

Last edited by Predator; 05-30-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
B&C 160 Class

i do have some form of medical training. i was cls cirtified when i was in the army. there is nothing i can fix with some gaus pads and a few bandades that i cant fix with the tee shirt i am wairing
Old 05-31-2010, 05:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

"there is nothing i can fix with some gaus pads and a few bandades that i cant fix with the tee shirt i am wairing "

I know that will work in a pinch, although I prefer a little more sterility. its not so much the initial wounds you have to worry about these days as it is the infections and secondary infections.