shift work - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Default shift work

Well got a call from work and the current nasty schedule will continue at least another 2 months. On average 3 of us have been working 60-70 hrs of OT a month since January, in-order to cover for the 4th supervisor on worker's comp leave. No vacations can be taken without causing additional hours to the 2 remaining persons to cover. Right now my PA bow hunt should be safe. I might have faired better if I was in my 30's-40's but mid 50's ouch! We work 4 12 hr day shift then get 48 hrs off and switch to 4 12 hr night shifts and then start the schedule all over again. Pretty hard to do anything but sleep and feel like crap. Maybe time to try one of those energy drinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 PM

sounds like a very tough schedule indeed. just be sure to rest as much as you can to keep your health in check. try not to overdo anything because you are already maxing out your energy on work alone.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 AM
B&C 160 Class

Man that's a tough schedule, hang in there at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 AM
B&C 120 Class

Wow!. Thats alot of hours a week. I have a hunting buddy who had to work 60-70 hours a week and since he was on Salary he did not get paid anything extra. On top of that when the economy went south they had to take pay cuts at the 35 hour a week rate. He had aenough and just moved out to Colorado this month. Deer season wont be the same for me this year.

Hang in there HM!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 AM
B&C 140 Class

I've always worked alot of hours but never had to do a swing shift. Never wanted to either. I don't see how you ever get used to it.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 AM
B&C 100 Class

Regardless of the age, that type of schedule is ruff on the body physically and mentally. I've been working 6 days a week for 17 years now and my job is physically demanding. The hardest part is when your body is hurt and sore cause you don't get any recovery time.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I've always worked alot of hours but never had to do a swing shift. Never wanted to either. I don't see how you ever get used to it.
I would prefer the swing shift over what we have now. We still swing what days we work but stay on either night shift or day shift. So for your night shifters they are swinging more often. For example im sleeping in the day on part of Mon, Tues, Wed.. Sleeping Night on Thurs and part of Fri. Back to full day sleeping Sat and Sun----- then the days swap.. Night sleepin Mon Tues.... and so on. At least with our old swing when you come off workin your last night you would have at least 4-5 normal days.

I know that probably isnt explained well but basically we're swinging every 2 days. If you want to ever see your wife and kids. We could just stay on the night shift schedule but that really isnt much to do at 4 am at home.

Hang in there HM. Theres some light at the end of the tunnel. (maybe)