From the field to the table - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:20 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default From the field to the table

A few months ago I asked Mark about adding a new section to the forum that dealt with the various techniques care and preparation of harvested game. I was asked at that time if I would be willing to be a DHC contributor in that area. I was reluctant to except that kind of responsibility due to my lack of experience. I was at the time, more of less looking for additional information myself.
But after a lengthy but enjoyable conversation with Mark, It was determined that the lack of experience actually could be beneficial as a learning process for everyone including myself. To date, I have solo field dressed only one deer and butchered 2. It will be my objective to apply various techniques in the dressing, butchering, proper storage and consumption of wild game animals to enhance the hunters productivity, efficiency and total satisfaction.
I am hoping that this endeavor will be both educational and entertaining as I plan to include video and still photos of the entire processes. I will provide more specifics when I submit my bio info and pic to get things rolling.
The biggest draw back to the whole program will be obtaining the game to work with. I will be approaching this hunting season a vengeance to fill as many tags as I can and to aid my son in filling a couple as well as he will be accompanying me this year, pending his successful qualification next Thursday.
My ultimate goal, should this all come together as planned, would be to eventually include eveything with fur, feathers, skin or scales.

Stay tuned, more to come soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 PM

So what we're talking about is skinning, guts and blood? Ok....
Old 05-17-2010, 07:00 AM
B&C 140 Class

Could be a good undertaking. People do lots of different things a bunch of different ways. Lookin forward to it.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
People do lots of different things a bunch of different ways. Lookin forward to it.
Agree and Agree!! Like Predator was saying when we had that conversation. "It would be a great addition to the site." When new hunters try to search for this information they struggle to find well put together articles, pics, and info on this topic. And it will be an easy answer to the newbies that join every year and have questions on taking care of the game after the shot. We can just post them a link to those articles and they should be all set.

"From the Field to the Table" sounds like a good title for this area.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 AM
B&C 140 Class

Yep HM, blood, guts, skinning and a whole lot more.

Southern man, I agree, there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. and I plan to cover them when ever posible. for instance, I had my buddy call me when he got his deer last year cause he said he could do a 10 min field dress. He did it in 8 under the light of a flashlight and I seen some new techniques in the process.

A lot of new hunters will probably benefit from it the most at first as I will attempt to cover a lot of the basics, Deer hunting 101 if you will. many of the areas that I wish I had access to when I started hunting. It is very easy to make your harvest unfit to consume, simply through a lack of knowledge or resources. It is in this area that I hope the new area will be a successful addition first.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
B&C 160 Class

i would be very interested in seeing pelts prepaired.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
B&C 140 Class

it would be cool, to hear some other methods. i have cleaned my share of hogs and got that down to a science. Deer also. all my buddy's give me a hard time about hanging deer and hogs from the neck to skin. Showed a hunting buddy of mine how to quarter a hog and get the tenderloins without gutting the hog. lol. he was lost... lol. Sounds like a good thread to start.