leases - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Default leases

A few of us have been discussing interests in finding lease properties. I thought it might be a good topic to talk about here. I too am interested in locating a good lease in southern Ohio. With all our members here it might be possible to join ranks and find a really nice parcel. Lets talk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM
B&C 100 Class

Although I have access to my grandparents acreage, I too would like to have my own lease that is managed in a different way. Anyone on here from Texas and is interested, let's chat and see if we can work together to find something...........it's a good idea you have here Hunting Man
Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
B&C 140 Class

I'd like to know the mechanics of a lease. How legal/formal should it be? I know of some places that are just brimming with big bucks and would be willing to lease, but haven't a clue on how to get started. Any experienced guys out there?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM

I know basically there are two ways to go, first is through a lease company and they provide the lease agreements, rules ect. The second would be through a private party, and then would require a lease agreement be drawn up between the leases and the lessor. The leasees, in my opinion, should then draft up a land use agreement on how to hunt the property during the lease. This would include things like outsider guest's, if any, how many days per week to hunt it, and in Ohio its legal to bait so that issue would have to be determined. A lease company probably has great properties but also not so great prices. I have a little background on writing labor contracts so drafting a lease agreement should not be too bad. I'm sure there are many sources to locate for template guides.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:52 PM
ronn

whatcha thinking?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:45 PM

Ohio seems to be moving to the forefront on trophy bucks, there's got to be a way to tap into some good hunting property by pooling our economic resources. I guess if anyone's interested in pursuing something like this or in another state/area I'm in and willing to help develope a plan.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
ronn

Ohio definitely has monsters or at least the potential to grow them. I think the trick will be finding like minded hunters or at least coming to some sort of agreement on what each persons goals are and will the goals work in unison.

I very well could be interested if the deal is the right one.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default logging co.'s

another option that works in my neck of the woods is going through logging companies. one local company is offering 168 acres at $10 per acre so it's $1680 per year. not sure of the stipulations attached by the landowner but it's another place to check. good luck!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

It really shoudnt be that difficult to enact some form of agreement once you find a plot of land to hunt. there are however many considerations to reveiw.
initial cost of the lease, determined individual cost per share, quantity of huntable areas within the area (that will have direct impact on individual costs), amicable way of determining hunters stand locations per week/season etc, rules and santions for rules violations, goals of the property managment, quotas and limitations on harvests and protection of lease against propert ownership change. and the list goes way beyond that. you need to sit down as a group(all present) and discuss as much as posible and come to a group contract. and it would be advisable to have an attorney reveiw it and advise you on any other considerations not covered.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 AM
B&C 140 Class

i have been leasing property in Georgia for about 8 years now. from private landowners. the papermills and and land agents can be frustrating to deal with. papermills are notorious for raising lease prices just when you have done all the work. for example, buddy of mine had leased 1200 acres with 4 other guys. had it for 10 years. was rough when they started. put in food plots, supplement fed. and through the years, the deer really flourished. the last year they were on it. season before last. the paper company had been out and surveyed the property. my buddy was informed that the lease cost would be going up. from $16.00 an acre up to $25.00. big chunk of change. but the paper companies have a waiting list of people-- they don't care to much. as long as it is leased.

Also when leasing, you might want to check into insurance. some private landowners will feel more comfortable if your club has insurance. there are companies out there that provide an insurance policy, in case some one gets hurt, you don't sue the landowner. mine runs about $50.00 a year for 300 acres.