Deer Hunting Forums banner

Spreading CWD!!!

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  wmi 
#1 ·
Is our own DNR contributing to the spread of cwd????

I was just out shed hunting today and came across the blinds the sharpshooters use to cull dear from the area. the grain is still on the ground for any other deer to help themselves. In the state of Illinois it is now unlawful to feed deer put out salt blocks or otherwise create a place to promote the unnatural congrigation of deer.
yet it appears our own DNR is doing precisely that. Hmmmm

#2 ·
First you should take pictures of the area, including their blinds and bait piles then call them and ask them about it to see what they have to say about it.

Would be interesting to hear what they say.

#3 ·
Yep, planning on it.

I also noticed coming out of the woods on the last day of hunting a well traveled deer trail cutting through a harvested field for approx 400 yds and heading to a residential area. I'll bet you can guess whats happening there.

G
#5 ·
i believe its all a bunch of hooey. think about it. what is the difference between a corn pile and that one white oak, like in my area, that draws every deer into it. or that apple tree or orchard that every deer hits. or that small food plot that all the deer come to cause there is little or nothing else to eat. a deer will travel upwards of a couple miles to a plot or substantial food source. not saying it doesn't help spread cwd, i saying there are plenty of natural food sources that the deer congregate on that do the very thing "they" say is the root of all evil. i'm just playing devil's advocate here and thinking objectively. but what you have going on is hypocritical

#6 ·
All in all I am saying.

We, the hunters where I hunt and probably all over the state, do not want the shooters. they shoot the best deer so they are not back in the fall. they over shoot an area so the lack in quantity of deer next season is noticeable.they bring in statees and pay them a premium to do what we have to pay to do and we are not allowed to bait the deer when we do it. and then they dont even clean up the bait afterward. there is probably a good 100lbs of cracked corn just lying on the ground.

I really think we need to adopt a civilian over site committee to scrutinize all branches of the government and everything they do.

#11 ·
On a courious note though, pertaining to CWD transmission. I wonder if there is any studies being on the disease being discovered within our natural carnivours. in other words does a CWD infected deer that is consumed by wolves, cougers coyotes etc infect the preditors. or are they somehow imune.

just courious

#13 ·
I guess I am implying that our desimation and to some extent misunderstanding of and the importance of this countrys cornivours has led to the uncontrollable spread of something that appears to have come from nowhere quickly.

G
#14 ·
nature finds away to right things. This is why its important to take the does in over populated areas, to keep the numbers in check and strop these diseases from grabbing a toe hold and doing what needs to be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.