HuntNH (welding) - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

right on ! i ve been machining 21 yrs now tool and die and production and now i wanna move on to non destructive testing u/t (magnaflux ultra sonic and ultra sound testing )im the only machinist in a family of welders though. my dad helped build the bruce nuclear complex up here for ont hydro which is now hydro 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
what process are you using TG?
NH I have no idea what process I am doing. Actually, there are a whole bunch of different size rods and settings on the welder and I just pick 1 up and go. I know it's pretty boneheaded to do but I need to get my buddy in there to help fine tune things with the rods, welder settings and type of metals used. Maybe that is the whole problem.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 PM
B&C 160 Class

ok so a "bunch of rods". that means you are stick welding. take a look at the Numbers on the sides of the Rods. chances are strong that it will ether be a E6011, E6010, or E7018. if it says E7018 it should be stored in a rod oven. if its not that could be part of the prob. if your welding with the E7018 strike the ark with the rod at about a 60 degree angle back words, and have the pudlle chasing the rod as you drag the rod. dont try to do any fancy patterns as your draging it. just run a straight bead. 7018 runs a nice bead that way. if your using E6011 or E6010 strike the ark at amoast a 90 dergee angle only angled back a little. once you get a good puddle going, whip the rod folward about an inch for a sec. then bring it back so that the new mettle you are deposeting is partualy over lapping the were the origanal pudlle. then repeat this motion all the way down the jiont you are welding. if you cant get the hang of that do the small circles Ronn was talking about.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 PM

messed around again today and I am getting better. I used 1 set of rods with the settings on the box saying 20-60 amps for thinner metals and I was welding thin stuff together. I kind of strike the arc like a match and Im able to get the joint right away and start. I have some success doing the small circles but just can't keep a consistent bead yet. I will look at the rod #'s tomorrow.