Working like a madman - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 AM

Default Working like a madman

Overtime has been wide open at work and since you got to make hay when the suns shining I have been spending a lot of time there. 150 hours of night shift in 12 days since Jan 31st. My body is screaming at me. First overtime we have been offered in a long time. I dont expect this to last very long at all so trying to get better prepared for the leaner times again. Last year was the least amount of money I have made in probably 7 years or so.

Is business looking any better for you folks?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 AM
ronn

get it while you can but a word of advice from a guy that worked 16 18 hr days for a couple years, that type of schedule will kill ya and you'll miss an awful lot of things you won't want to.

I know things are tough around here but i've been at it for a long time and I stay busy. things don't look to change any time soon, although i still worry about it. the other day i off loaded 6600 lbs of epay (spelling), its an exotic hardwood for out side, that i have to mill out into 4 decks. with jobs lined up for the year. lots of carpenters out of work though.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:02 AM

Same here buckfever, we're down to 3 supervisors covering 24 hrs/day 7 days/week.Production is down still as refineries are not at full production.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 AM
B&C 140 Class

Although we haven't had a raise in almost 4 years and last year laid off 6 people and had no over-time (both of those things for the first time ever), as of this week, we re-hired 3 of the people who were laid off and have started OT again. So, just maybe.... keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
get it while you can but a word of advice from a guy that worked 16 18 hr days for a couple years, that type of schedule will kill ya and you'll miss an awful lot of things you won't want to.
I hear ya. Dont plan to go that overboard and didnt work this friday and saturday so I wouldnt miss one of my daughters basketball games and get to go to church with them in the morning.. I may need the money but some stuff is just more important..
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
ronn

you got it
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM

That type of work actually led to a few family problems with me awhile ago with not being home, missing the kids school plays, housework, yard work, and Holidays. Working days/nights/overnights/weekends and Holidays really took a toll on things. The current job now is Mon-Fri 8-4 but with the economy and all that I could use a "little" extra work.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 PM
B&C 140 Class

we only got cut to 40 hours here at its worst, and 2 weeks ago we went back on 50. and its getting real busy with no end in site. kinda feast or famine.