Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   Hunting... a Right or a Privilege? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/5429-hunting-right-privilege.html)

Hunting Man 02-07-2010 04:02 PM

Hunting... a Right or a Privilege?

Lets see how you see this one? If hunting is a right, why. If it is a privledge can it be taken away?:wink:

ronn 02-07-2010 04:09 PM

i'm going with a privilege.

why because you are licensed to hunt. just as driving is a privilege and it can be taken away from you for various good reasons, so too with hunting. both should be treated with respect and with great responsibility.

good question, hm.

Predator 02-07-2010 05:26 PM

Its a God given right.
in the most basic needs of life, you can survive without driving, so hence driving is a privledge.
hunting and fishing on the other hand such as gathering is the most basic of God given rights to survive. we only allow the state and federal governments to provide for licensing to maintain some form of game management and greed management.

WisconsinDeer 02-07-2010 06:55 PM

I have to agree with AIRBOURNE.

ronn 02-07-2010 11:55 PM

so guys if you break the law and lost your licenses, you think its your right to hunt anyway? if you're a felon and go gun hunting its your right? cause thats what you are saying.

rights can not be taken away, privileges can. the entity taking that away isn't the gov'. its those that support the laws written and passed by those that were elected by the people/other hunters. well its suppose to be anyway. so its the law abiding hunter that is taking that privilege from you, and by you i mean those that lost thier privileges not you as in airbourne and wisconsindeer.

Predator 02-08-2010 12:49 AM

We must be careful what we call a right or a privledge and what we allow the federal, state and local governments to call a right or a privledge. after all a right can be renamed a privledge and thereby taxed, licensed, controled to no means and even revolked. hunting is a right that man has had since the garden of eden when God gave to him and Eve the skin of an animal to cloth themselve with. We allow our state and federal governments the privledge to require a license fee to be paid in order to legaly hunt in a given state. from those license fees we assumne that the game numbers will be managed and the welfare of the states game animals will be monitored and controlled. I do not advocate hunting or fishing without a license, but I refuse to consider it a privledge and I reserve the right to absolve the licesing requirements in the event of something catastrophic such as a high level enviromental disaster of another great depression.

ronn 02-08-2010 05:57 AM

you got a point about how much power we give the gov't.

joem46 02-08-2010 07:03 AM

Right to hunt.

In The State of Vermont, hunting is a right. It is so declared in the State Constitution. However it also says that the State can regulate and require a license to hunt. I forget the exact wording. Also remember when a person commits a felony he or she loses certain rights! Owning or possessing a firearm is one of them. In Vermont however a felon can still utilize his right to hunt, just has to use a muzzleloader instead of a rifle or shotgun. A felon may also use a bow and arrow in Vermont.

BruceBruce1959 02-08-2010 07:39 AM

MANY states voted hunting and fishing into their law books making it a "Right" not a privilege, a few states are still failing to get those laws passed but in time I believe It's going to be a "Right" for everyone.

If anyone wants to read the Bills that were established for their states here's the link that shows who passed and failed
"Right to hunt and Fish"

And joem46 is right, Vermonters are the only ones that have had the Right to hunt since 1777.

The Vermont Constitution states the following

Vermont
“The inhabitants of this State shall have the liberty in seasonable times, to hunt and fowl on the lands they hold, and on other lands not inclosed, and in like manner to fish in all boatable and other waters (not private property) under proper regulations, to be made and provided by the General Assembly.” (Vermont Constitution, Chapter 2, part 67, 1777)

Hunting Man 02-08-2010 09:08 AM

I think all have given good points but here is what I think. Because we live in a civilized sociaty, we have formed laws for which grant/take a-way rights, based upon a representative style of government, can be involked or revolked at any time. Your rights are only intack as long as the people stand up for their rights. Hunting cannot be a privelge as privelge is a term used for granting something special to someone or a special group. In this case, hunting is open to all (with certain requirements) and therefor becomes a right under law, which then means someone or something has allowed the right to take place. What I was looking for was the acknowledgement that what we believe are our rights are only true as long as the majority of the people say it is. I didn't go into the religious rights as I believe we have certain individual rights that man cannot take away. Most rights as we think of them are only a temporary right based upon the next vote of the people. To me, hunting is a right for now!