Deer Hunting Forums banner

need help all input welcom

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a situation where I can buy my son a coustom made .2506 to deer hunt with from a good friend. the rifle has a glass bedded barrel,mauser action,nice stock with cheek plate, three round clip. Also it has a 3x9 scope on it.[I would replace this with a better one.] My problem with it is that it has a 20 in. barrel ???? I have looked alot on the internet, most of these have a 24---26 in. barrel. I would like to here from you if you have any info about this.I haven't shot it as yet,too much snow this week. Most of our hunting for deer is in the mountains 200 yards or less, however with this cal. I would like for him to be able to use it for varments as well, 2-300 yards.

#2 ·
Could it be a youth model with a shortened stock as well as barrel?

Best advice would be to see if you can try it out before having to buy it. If it zeroes well at 100 yards, then it should shoot fine out to your required 200-300 yard distances.

.25-06 is a popular caliber here in Texas for deer. Lighter rounds make for better varmint rounds 'cause they shoot a lot flatter. Try it . . . you just might like it. <or not>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.