Hunt much - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 AM
B&C 140 Class

i have a friend, that i have taken to my lease in Georgia. He is not very experienced, so i try to help him out. has been hunting about 2 years now. To understand this story, you must first know that this guy will get lost, with a gps in hand. lol. so i keep an eye on him. lol. one morning , going to the stands. I decided to hunt my climber about 400 yds from the stand he wanted to hunt. he had hunted it already 3 times that weekend. i am half way up the tree and i see his flashlight shining and moving all over the place. in the woods, the food plot , back into the woods. I'm thinking "what the heck is he doing?" I'm contemplating climbing down to check on him. just then his light turns off. woods are quiet and dark again. no radio call, so i figure all is well. after the hunt, i meet up with him. he informs me that he got lost and couldn't find the stand (had already been to it in the dark twice)lol then he tripped on a log on the edge of the food plot. he sat down on the edge of the food plot till day break. found the stand, started to climb up in it and spooked 6 does. if he would of been up in there, could of gotten his first deer.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM
B&C 140 Class

gonna pull out the good stories now. same hunting buddy, is very good for some entertainment. sitting in a stand in Georgia. I'm probably 600-700 yds away. when we meet up after the morning hunt, he informs me that he heard a buck grunting, very loud. i heard nothing like that. as we are walking back to the truck, he says "there it is again, that buck is close". i told him that that wasn't a buck, it was the donkey that lives about 1/2 mile down the road at a vet hospital. i laughed for hours after that.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
B&C 100 Class

I took a good friend of mine hunting for one of his first times looking for his first deer. I told him that no matter what walked out I was going to give him the first shot at it. We were sitting on the side of a tall ridge overlooking another ridge and a deep hollar when we heard something moving in the leaves to my left. I told him to get ready just then a large buck came out of a thicket and started walking slowly up the other ridge. My binocs were under my rifle I had laying in my lap so I picked up my rifle after I showed the buck to my buddy so I could try to see if he hit it. I was talking to him saying shoot shoot. If you don't shoot he is going over the ridge. Well needless to say he didn't shoot and the buck got away. When I put my rifle down and asked if he couldn't get on him is that why he didn't shoot he told me....he had him in his scope but saw me pick my rifle up and he knew that 7mm mag I was shooting was going to be loud he put his gun down and stuck his fingers in his ears. I can still see that buck to this day. He was a good one!