Deer Hunting Forums banner

Decisions

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
I have to make a hard decision this year. I have been hunting PA for 37 years and the deer hunting has been very good to me. However, the last several years has seen the deer numbers fall dramatically to the point that seeing one is getting difficult. Not to mention that they are going nocturnal to boot. The problem is we have a great deer camp and great hunting buddies. The trade off would be finding private lease property in Southern Ohio and starting all over. I know the hunting would be far better and better quality bucks, but giving up half a hunting lifetime/history/memories is not an easy decision to make. Thought I'd throw this around for imput, thoughts.

#2 ·
That would be a tough decision to make. But I'm gonna toss in my two cents worth anywho . . .

Guess it all boils down to what you're going hunting for in the first place. Obviously, bringing something home to put into the freezer is the top priority. But if it's the comraderie that is just as important, then you should stay right where you're at and wait to see what shows up in your rifle scope.

But that's just my opinion. Anyone else care to put in their $.02 worth???

#11 · (Edited)
Im with you on this one,plus starting over is a real hassle.What about making upgrades to the property,food plots ,cover etc to create better deer habitat

#5 ·
Yeah I agree with ronn, there's no way I'd be able to leave a 37 year history not after all those memories were created,
I'd have to bite the bullet and just suffer without deer until things came back around to normal and they will come back to normal.

#13 ·
It 's hard to make a decision like that after making so many memories with friends . How ever new memories are yours for the making in Ohio . I say expand your horizons and start a new chapter in your hunting adventures. A wise man (MarkTwain) once said you will be more dissapointed in twenty years by the things that you did not do rather than the things that you did. Good luck and go with your gut feeling, it works for me.

#15 ·
ronn, we have guys from Ohio, NC, the NC guys wouldn't come to Ohio to hunt. I don't have a crystal ball to know what the hunting will be in a couple of years but its went downhill for several years now. The tough part is having built the camp and formed a lifetime friendship. I'm at a loss as to what I'm going to do. I may be able to split hunts a couple in Ohio and 1-2 in PA but that would lower the purpose of buying lease property in Ohio. At least I have some time to think. I have set my bow trip to PA for November after that who knows. Maybe its time to pay some big bucks in search for out of state big bucks!:surprised:

#17 ·
Good luck locating something, my son and i have been on line looking also, SE of Columbus. I have co-workers who hunt that area and harvest some nice bucks. Ronn, take a look around the Tappan Lake area of ESE Ohio, I personally know a couple of guys that have lease property around the lake that take some awsome bucks.

G
#18 ·
thanks hm. i'll check it out. i have a friend thats from columbus and his dad worked for the state helping out the farmers, so he knows a lot of the farmers in that part of ohio. neither my friend or his father hunts so its never been on their minds. I on the other hand, its on my mind 24/7.

#19 ·
any public land,i remeber reading an article in field and stream about public land hunting in ohio last year,guy did a road trip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.