coyote hunting - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

"They are part of our culture......" and so is hunting, as long as the meat is not wasted.

It's tough trying to teach hunting to some children, especially when they are young. I could only imagine how much meat a bison would provide. Good guestimate to me would be enough meat for several families. My grandfather taught me years ago that you shoot only two things (1) Food for the table and (2) varmints trying to take things away from you. (Today, that can mean 2 or 4 legged varmints!) I've tried to honor what he taught me over 40 years ago.

Anyone have any "words of wisdom" that was taught to y'all by your grand-pappies that you'd like to share???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Scrub Buck

i don't think it is to ethical to take out a lot at one time. here where i live in Texas we don't have to many problems with them and when ever a goat or cow dies or we have spare parts from an animal, it is usually the coyotes that take care of the stuff as clean up control. but as far as I'm concerned, do what you feel if it benefits your area.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 AM
Scrub Buck

Coyotes usually occupy a range of around 10 to 12 miles, ensuring that nearly any area you set up in will have an active population. The key is in knowing how to hunt coyotes, not so much where.

Being predators, coyotes are extremely adept creatures of their environments, and will be quite difficult to fool into not being aware of your presence. As an avid deer hunter and experimental predator hunter, I can guarantee you that you will miss many more coyotes than you will see, especially in the beginning.

A coyote will not usually (if ever) come directly at you, and it would be rare for one to spend much more than a few seconds in the open, time usually spent sliding from cover to more cover. Furthermore, getting a coyote to come to your area will require effective scent cover, immaculate camouflaging, and some skill with a predator call.

As a member of the canines, one should realize that coyotes have an acute sense of smell, and this one factor will give up your position from distances well out of sight or range. Similarly, coyotes are accomplished at detecting shapes or movements that are not quite "right" for the environment, so one should take care to set up in a way that makes this more difficult. A few notes on this: never "skyline" yourself, sit as still as possible and behind as much natural-looking cover as possible, and try not to move (this is especially important for hands and feet/legs). You should also wear a covering for your face. Coyotes will respond to a variety of "distress" type calls, including fawn bleats, rabbit distress calls, and etcetera. Practice with one, or several, to provide a convincing draw.

Another important factor in any predator hunting is marksmanship. Hunting coyote is challenging enough before one considers that they will likely be taking moving shots, at small targets, and at considerably long ranges (while maintaining ethical responsibility, of course). Put in plenty of time at the range, especially if you are hunting with a rifle.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 PM
B&C 180 Class

you should skin em and sell the pelts it can pay for the ammo
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky