Question - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

I too have heard that the windpipe should be removed asap. Don't know if it is true but have heard it. The heart does not need to be pumping to drain main arteries and veins just gravity. if animal is dead and you are going to gut it immediately, then no there is no reason to cut the throat. One thing not mentioned yet is that if you are going to mount the animal NEVER cut the throat or your taxidermist will be very angry.
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
B&C 180 Class

windpipe should be removed cuz flies lay eggs in there.but you can remove by reaching up and pulling through the chest cavity
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-12-2009, 01:34 AM
B&C 120 Class

I have only cut the neck on one deer and it was because I made a bad shot on her and she was laying in the field in pain. I don't make it a routine or do it for sport. Actually I felt as though I was doing the most humane thing at the time. She was in bad shape. If I had left her to die it could have taken hours. Put in the same situation, I would do the same thing again.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickhead Stalker RN View Post
I have only cut the neck on one deer and it was because I made a bad shot on her and she was laying in the field in pain. I don't make it a routine or do it for sport. Actually I felt as though I was doing the most humane thing at the time. She was in bad shape. If I had left her to die it could have taken hours. Put in the same situation, I would do the same thing again.
why not shoot her again, just wondering?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:11 AM

There is no legitimate reason to cut a deers throat whatsoever, none. Also, cutting a deers throat is a definate no-no if you plan on mounting that trophy....
Many generations ago it was believed that quickly draining a wild animals blood was beneficial to the meat, it isn't.

If anyone is still cutting a deers throat, for whatever reasons they believe they are doing it for, all they are really doing is exposing even more of the meat to unwanted bacterias.

Ronn, I think the answer to your question is, More than likely when a hunter approaches a downed deer that hasn't expired,,, in most cases the hunters are only armed with high powered rifles so the safest option is to cut the suffering deers throat... It's not something any of us want to ever have to do.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 AM
ronn

i agree with bruce on the throat cutting. isn't any reason to do it and it would let in more crap.

cutting the throat safer than shooting it from 10 yards away or 5, or 3,???????????? i don't think so. those hooves can cut you up.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 AM

If a deer still has kick in it it's more than likely on it's feet, however, if that's the case then it should be shot again from a distance.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 AM
ronn

i'd still just shoot it again. i've only had one that i had to deal with and it was just a finishing shot in the ear.

funny the traditions, wives tales, and becauses, out there when it comes to things like cutting the throat or hanging this many days and the like.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 AM

I wish I had all the second arrows I used to end the situation quickly. $20.00/arrow but I've never questioned my decision to put the animal out for the count thats why I purchase them by the dozen . I've heard of the rotting esophagus thing but never encountered it in 40 years of hunting. If the weather is too warm to allow a week of hanging then we quarter them up and put on ice in garbage bags in coolers at camp. We put a hemlock branch into the chest cavity to spread it out for faster cooling. If its questionable temperature I'll split the rib cage to the lower neck and open things up a bit.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

HM< Another topic for discussion is why do you hang the animals for days? Once i stopped hanging animals I haven't had one yet that tasted bad. Here in the west the food the animals eat can really affect the way they taste, but if you chill, debone and cut off all the fat ASAP even antelope can be fantastic. Fat in game animals will start to spoil almost immediately. Anybody up for a discussion on this maybe we should start a need thread.