Cows and Deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Cows and Deer

I only have a couple of pieces of land I can hent here in the Flinthills of KS, and trust me I am not complaining. I have taken some nice deer here, and shot my biggest buck last year. My favorite place to hunt is about 100 yards off of a great timber funnel, I would love to get in there and hang a stand or two, but the owner on the other side of the fence wont let anyone hunt. I am surrounded by non-hunting neighbors and have a little honey hole, with lot's of activity.... at least until a couple of weeks ago. The land owner behind me (in between the timber and me) decided to run 16 cows in the field. My stand deer sightings have dropped to almost nothing until last night. I know they are comming up in the middle of the night to my deer co-caine and the corn feeder that is on my property. So they are not to concerned with the cows, but they are no longer moving during legal hunting hours. I have never seen this pattern before in the five years of sitting in these stands, and wonder what do you think about the effect of cows on deer? I have hunted on dairy farms before with greeat success, and many farms around here run a lot of cattle at different times throughout the year. But this one has me stumped. I know, warm temps and the rut will kick them nocturnal, but is that the only thing going on? This is the first time cows have been on his land, and didn't know if anyone had any insight on how long before the deer would ignore them and get back on track. I did have 2 bucks come up lastnight (small 6pt, and a nice 8pt) and a couple does, but this is the first sighting in a few trips.... until AFTER DARK! your thoughts?

Last edited by KS Droptine; 11-21-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:34 AM
B&C 140 Class

I don't think cows bother deer at all...the deer i've watched while cows where in the area seem to look up every so often and watch the cows for a couple seconds but otherwise pay no attention to them at all....possibly b/c they have seen them since they where fawns? i don't know. but we've had cows on our land for a very long time so i think the deer are just accustomed to seeing them. Since the area you are hunting hasn't had any cattle on it before(?) the deer may not trust the cows yet lol, but i don't think the cows are really going to throw your hunting off to much.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 AM

deer will get used to them if they aren't already.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

I may have been a little freaked out. I saw deer lastnight, and also this morning.... so maybe it just took some time for them to adjust. I used to hunt with cows around, but this is the first time that cows have been on this piece of property. This is where I have picked out for my kids to hunt this year. It will be their first year to hunt, so I wanted to be sure the deer would be there. I am so excited to have them have the chance of putting some meat in the freezer I can't wait for opening day. My daughter said this morning that if the deer was big enough, she wanted it on the wall! This could get expensive! haha
Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 PM

If they bother them I have never noticed. But I havent had the chance to hunt land that was not at least semi surrounded by cows. Yesterday evening i was watching some land across the road going up to another ridge. There was a deer moving up to the ridge. About 5 cows where 150 yards farther down from him. This land has cows all on it with patches of woods breaking it up. I have been in my stand and seen plenty of deer in these fields. Granted ive never seen the cows and deer close to each other, but have seen deer one field over or at the edge of the woods (in same field) from the cows.

Dont get me wrong. Im not gonna hunt over a cow field, but deer will use the surrounding area. Old school hunters around here use to tell me to step in a pile of cow crap before i walked to my stand to cover my scent. Thats how common cows are around here.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
Old school hunters around here use to tell me to step in a pile of cow crap before i walked to my stand to cover my scent. Thats how common cows are around here.
I live smack dab in the center of a farming community where people brag about tire size on their manure trucks. My best friends farm is where I do a lot of hunting, and I will periodically hang my outer layers of hunting clothing in the barn overnight when they are starting to get some "Me" smell to them. I dont get winded and am honestly, pretty lazy at times about scent control. (Like going straight from work or college after a day of sweating and straight to the woods.) Seems to work for me, but I am in an area where I can go see 2000 cows within a mile. Wouldnt recomend it if not where cows are as abundant.