being prepared - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 PM
ronn

Default being prepared

before anyone goes out in the woods to hunt they need to be prepared. prepared to do the work prior to the season, as in scouting, practicing with their chosen weapon. being prepared by knowing the habits, the likes and dislikes of the deer in their area. knowing what it is going to take after the shot. we owe it to animal, the hunting tradition, and other hunters to be well prepared to hunt and not going out there haphazard thinking "now we are hunters and hunting". do it right and prepare yourself correctly. if you are not prepared stay home till you are

Last edited by ronn; 11-09-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: finishing the thought
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Scrub Buck

AMEN! preparation is probably the most important thing to any hunt next to safety
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 AM

Being well prepared puts a hunter closer to success. I understand a lot of hunters are bogged down with work and other chores and don't get the time to scout like they want to but safety is extremely important while hunting and each person entering the woods should have at "Least" taken the time to sight in their weapons, I think it's ok for a hunter that hasn't had time to pre-scout his area to go into the woods and do his best to "scout during the Hunt" but only if he knows his weapon is shooting accurately, If he hasn't sighted it in and doesn't know where it's shooting then he's gotta stay home for his own safety and the safety of all the other people in the woods.. that's how i see it....

Old 11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
if you are not prepared stay home till you are
Obviously, some people learn to hunt from their fathers or family members since their childhood. But there are those who have to learn it on their own (well, like me) and hopefully we will be good enough some day to teach our children and revive hunting traditions.

It is not really easy to figure out what to be prepared for and one wouldn't ever be totally prepared unless he's got several years of experience. The worst part is being scared of own unpreparedness and stay home. I'd say one _must_ dare to make mistakes for the sake of gaining experience, just don't repeat them.

That being said, the more prepared you are, the more practice with the the weapon of your choice you had, the better. And most importantly, one must not jeopardize his safety or safety of other people around.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM
B&C 160 Class

im in the same boat as you. everything i have learned about hunting was learned the hard way, and in the woods. what i would have given to have had someone show me how to hunt. i can only hope ill be good enuff to teach my son how to bag deer on a regular basis.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 PM
ronn

i understand not everyone is raised hunting and some get into it late in life and thats great. going to sites like this and asking question is a great way to start being prepared but this should start well before the season not 2 days before. scouting can be done during the hunt and everyone does it and should do it, as things change in the woods. what is bothering me is guys that just run out the day before the season buy a gun and head into the woods or don't take the time to learn about deer or take the time to learn woodsmanship or even really what deer hunting is all about. there are ways to be prepared without having grown up hunting. ask the questions before the season, learning first hand from someone who as a few years under their belt. reading books. there is nothing wrong with not knowing. I don't know allot of things and its okay to say i don't know. to go out there unprepared and shoot something or shoot at something with out understanding why you are doing it, or what to do afterward, or what this is all about or that, is just not right. it gives hunters a bad reputation. if someone shoots something but doesn't have a clue as to how to track and recover or know someone that can show them and help them they have no reason to be out there shooting animals. as i said we owe it to the game the sport and to other hunters to be prepared for what comes next. and what comes next starts way before the season with hunters safety, why we are hunting, learning the anatomy of the animal, its habits, its habitat, the laws, ethics (there is a big one), what the weapon of choice is capable of, what the user is capable of with that weapon, most firearms can out shoot the shooter, what the animal's defences are, some idea of tracking or/and someone to help in the field that does know how to track, what is safe and what is not (should be taught in hunters safety) and then maybe we are ready to go hunting. there are mentoring programs out there and they are great. I have taught and am teaching my son. I have helped other kids, I teach by doing seminars. there a tons of people out there to help new hunters. even the first time hunter was introduced to it by someone else that has more experience. even those that have 40 years in the woods, like myself and others on this forum and others out there, learn something new every year or should strive to. we try not to make a mistake but we do make them and if we do we learn from them; and by we, i mean everyone. the problem is our mistakes are picked up by others that use them against hunters, or worse yet cause injury or death. hunting is not tidily winks and the name of the game is something is going to die and that should be held in the highest of regards. there is a responsibility that must be met or stay home. thats all i'm saying i'm not trying to bash anyone. It just seems to me that it must be said.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM

ronn I totally agree with you and I understand your frustrations.
But some guys just don't get it and probably never will, especially the ones you're referring to.
It's like talking to a wall sometimes

Old 11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
B&C 160 Class

i didnet think you were atacking anyone. and i agree whole hartedly that it is worng to just buy a gun and go out into the woods without havig shot it untill you are more than comforatable with it. i also think that it is worng to shoot a deer unless you are prepaired to clean it and what not. its just that in your first post you mentioned thing like patterning the deer and knowing what they like. and if you are not totaly perpaired than dont go out. i am no were near as prepaired as you are cause i dont have nearly the knowlage or expearaince that you do. but i would say that its more than likley obveace form some of my post that iv made sence sighning up hear that i have a pritty good grasp of hunting, that i have learned from spending as much time in the woods as possible. and from reading books. i would however love to have a much more experanced hunter (who tags out most of the time) show me more and help conect the dots learned from reading, and making mistakes in the woods.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM
ronn

huntnh i'm not pointing to anyone in particular. its just something i'm seeing more and more of. some folks do it right and learn as much as possible prior to going hunting and others just dive in with little to no regard for the animal, the tradition, or other hunters. I'm seeing it out in the real world.

anyone that says there is no one to show me hasn't looked very hard or asked enough people for one on one help. it is out there. hunting is pretty tight community. most guys aren't going to take you into there good spots but most will go with you to your property to help scout, make sure you in a safe area, thinking about all the important things that IS hunting. it doesn't take years of hand holding but that does help. it does set you on the right path.

I never mentioned patterning deer thats different than learning about the animal. I did mention scouting and thats as much a safety issue as it is a hunting issue. who hasn't been turned around in strange woods with a storm on the way or darkness on the way? I have, but i did have a poor map that got me out of the woods. why did i get out? i was prepared with the map printed from the computer.

basically hunting, which is the death of an animal, is very serious and it shouldn't be taken lightly. it deserves our very best and hardest effort to do it right and anything less isn't fair to yup you got it, the animal, the tradition, and other hunters. My hope is that by jumping right out there and saying it may set new guys on the right path to being a credit to the name hunter.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
B&C 160 Class

ronn i dident think you were singleing out anyone i particular. i gess what i was trying to say in my previous post was that im doing my best with what i got, and would like to learn more. and i now i hate trying to teach someone somethig if thay havent taken any inititive to learn what they can on there own. and i was kinda trying to show that i have taken that inititive so mabe in the future one of you more experainced guys would be willing to take me under your wing, and teach me what cant be learned from a book or just spending time in the woods. after the seasone ends, or you tag out would you be willing to help me?