Deer Lease Etiquette - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Deer Lease Etiquette

Hello to all!

I don't know if there is a pat answer for this question or not, …it is the question of Deer Lease Etiquette on and off hunting season. I have searched the 27 pages for the topic and if it is there I missed it and am sorry for repeating it.

All good Hunting Clubs have rules regarding on and off season activity.
Maybe you could share some of your thoughts as to some commonsense rules of conduct a reasonable person would expect his Club to follow throughout the year before and during hunting season.

We are a small (200 acre) 6 member Club that hunts (Bow & Rifle) the East Texas piney woods.

thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 03:19 PM
ronn

Arrow This is the perfect

This is the perfect way to break down this inomioatrfn.

Last edited by Skip; 04-20-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: 0QwTgErE
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 PM

Im on a lease with 3 other guys I work with. We all get along well so Ive have never really thought about lease etiqutte. Judging from some of my other buds on leases we have a good thing going on my lease.

Generally speaking we split everything and all try to pitch in and help. Food plots etc. We let each other know where we are hunting and try not to crowd. If someone is hunting a specific buck in a specific location we leave them alone and let them do their thing. We respect the landowner and offer to help him do stuff if he needs it.

This year one of the members wife got breast cancer. Since he isnt going to be able to hunt during rifle and ML he put in a smaller amount of money. Another guy was out of work on shoulder surgery for most of the year. He didnt have alot of money coming in. So me and the other hunter that would be spending the most time there pitched in more this year. And I have no doubt if I was in one of the others shoes they would do the same for me to keep me in the lease.

There has to be communication on a lease. You need to get along and respect the others. If 1 sees a wallhanger in the morning and makes plans to come back and try again dont run to his spot and try to get it before he does. Split the cost and the workload.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
Im on a lease with 3 other guys I work with. We all get along well so Ive have never really thought about lease etiqutte. Judging from some of my other buds on leases we have a good thing going on my lease.

Generally speaking we split everything and all try to pitch in and help. Food plots etc. We let each other know where we are hunting and try not to crowd. If someone is hunting a specific buck in a specific location we leave them alone and let them do their thing. We respect the landowner and offer to help him do stuff if he needs it.

This year one of the members wife got breast cancer. Since he isnt going to be able to hunt during rifle and ML he put in a smaller amount of money. Another guy was out of work on shoulder surgery for most of the year. He didnt have alot of money coming in. So me and the other hunter that would be spending the most time there pitched in more this year. And I have no doubt if I was in one of the others shoes they would do the same for me to keep me in the lease.

There has to be communication on a lease. You need to get along and respect the others. If 1 sees a wallhanger in the morning and makes plans to come back and try again dont run to his spot and try to get it before he does. Split the cost and the workload.
Thanks for the reply BF!

My reason for asking this forum is because there seems to be a 4 / 2 split on how we should manage our lease. 4 of us want to "really" hunt and the other 2 of us just want to ride four-wheelers, bar-b-que, drink beer, wear camo and carry guns.

This 200 acre spot near Shelbyville TX, has the potential of producing some really big deer if the lease is managed properly.
Therein lies the rub, …

The majority keep their feeders going year round, clear roads and do our chores off season, and respect a September 1st cut-off date to let the lease settle down before bow and rifle season.

The minority feel that it is ok to drag up sometime early to mid October, move blinds, fill feeders, fire up the four-wheelers and ride not only their designated areas but the entire lease.

It really is a source of frustration since there seems to be conflicting opinions supporting both methods of lease management.

What are we missing?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 AM
B&C 100 Class

Sounds to me like there needs to be set of guidelines with specifics,put together on paper with the approval of the landowner and must be signed by all leasee's
Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 AM

Good suggestion by Slug. Majority rules from where Im from.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Reality Check!

Two in our group really don't want the "rules" in writing.
They believe that the principles within should prevail. I joined this forum with hopes of confirming my own set of beliefs as to the reality of that thinking.

Message received and forwarded ahead, thx!
Moving on, ...