New Here From AZ, Questions about whitetail - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Scrub Buck

Default New Here From AZ, Questions about whitetail

Hey there... Jason from Northern AZ here...
Great forum! Avid western hunter here, but heading out on an archery whitetail hunt in Kansas the 2nd week of November...

I've hunted out there twice (2004 - 160" 10 point & 2008 - 180" 12 point). Both bucks were taken in December on rifle hunts, but I am really interested in any suggestions you can give me in regards to hunting these awesome animals.

I've talked w/some guys and I've watched some of the hunting shows..., however, not all information is given in much detail...

I'm really interested in calls/calling and scent attractants.

IE: snort-wheeze (when, how often?). rattling & grunting (again, when, how often, how aggresively)?

And, being a western hunter and used to long spot & stalk situations or hours in ground blinds over water sources..., I am used to scent away products and use them religiously. Also, during elk hunts in the rut, I know when and how to use elk urine. However, wicks & urine...? Where to locate? How much to use? How to set-up?

My hunting will be out of tree stands over food & water sources and travel routes... (Pre-Determined by the hunting outfitter that I am using)..., however, I am looking for any other advantage that I can give myself in order to harvest a quality buck.

I've probably rambled on & on & lost the interest of my readers..., but if anyone is still reading & can offer any advice..., and and all information provided would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you all are having a wonderful season.

Thanks;
JW
Old 10-19-2009, 06:12 AM

Hey az.hunter welcome to the site and greetings from WNY. I don't use any calls that much and usually just stick with a doe in heat scent and lots of cover scent/scent killer stuff. I think that if you are in a great spot that holds alot of deer you ought to be alright. Good Luck to you.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 AM
ronn

Angry Hi,I echo the commen

Hi,I echo the comments about your site, it relaly is fantastic for someone like me who is starting out.I've been reading that battery hens come to an unpleasent end well before their time and so i'm thinking about buying ex battery hens may be 3 or 4. I gather they may need some TLC at first and I wondered if you have any advice as to what state they may arrive in, what I can do to nurse them back to health and if this is a sensible idea for a beginner?Many thanks.Steve

Last edited by Kirby; 04-19-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: 0UEKAu0l
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM

Welcome for Ohio, I agree if your shooting bucks of a lifetime, I'd stick with what you're already doing. I like to rattle in the morning during the rut in PA, but these are 1.5 to 3 year old bucks and will respond sometimes, but I asume the bucks you are after are 5-6 year olds and well in their ways. Your spot stalk method seems to be the norm out west so maybe thats it. If the bucks are 400-500 yds away when you spot them they probably wouldn't hear or respond to rattleing , just a guess though. I rattle thinking about 80 yds maximum range for bucks to respond its not scientific in any way. I'd like to put just one of those class bucks on the wall, you already have two, nice going! Good luck in Kansas.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 AM

Greetings from Vermont, Welcome to the Club. nothing I can add here, I agree with all the replies here..

Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Scrub Buck

BruceBruce, Hunting Man, Ronn & Timberghost...

Thanks guys... All information is greatly appreciated.
Think I'll watch some more videos on the calling & rattling...

I'll let you all know how it works out for me.

Thanks again;
JW