Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   new an lookin for guidence (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/4456-new-lookin-guidence.html)

ice_rider 10-06-2009 04:27 PM

new an lookin for guidence

hey yall new to the sight love what I have read so far I live an hunt in mn on state land so as you can immagion there is a bit of competion to bag a deer I have 3 boys that are comming of age an are now startin to be inteested in huntin here lies the problem I was never really taught or guided I more or less just jumped in with both feet an I am not verry sucessful an unfortunatly I dont have the money to guided hunts an I have the bare min of equipment to hunt I have been hunting solo for the better part of 10 yrs an up till last yr I would see them but they would be out of range now I have a rifle that will fix that range problem but other than that I am winging it any advice ,suggestion ect would be great I wanna teach my boys but I figure I better learn prpoper technique before I teach them .

Buckshot 10-06-2009 05:01 PM

Ice rider welcome to the site. You have ask a very broad question so I will give a rather broad reply. I don't think you need to have a lot of gear to hunt deer. There are some things that will help but are not totally necessary to be successful.

Start with the basics like locating areas that hold deer. Sounds like you are familiar with the areas there so put on the boots and take the boys out for a scouting mission. Look for the sign: droppings, track, trails, rubs scrapes and deer you jump. Look for what is important to the deer namely food and cover. Look at the geography and topography along with the man made things like clear cuts and fields.

Put all this info on a map of your hunting area and see if any patterns pop out at you. I use a GPS to note all this and when I get home I down load it to my computer and study the maps, then I set some waypoints on the areas that I want to hunt then select where to place the stands.

There is nothing more important to me than knowing the area I hunt inside and out. Nothing will replace getting in the woods and walking around and taking notes as to what you see.

When hunting you have to be aware of the wind direction nothing will bust you quicker than a deer that's down wind. After the wind selecting a stand site whether it's on the ground or in a tree is important. You want a stand that breaks up your outline and conceals your movement. i used to think that I had to be pefectly still but that is not the case. If you are high enough in a tree or have a ground setup that conceals your movement you will do fine.

You do have to put in the time on the stand. I don't think many hunters stay long enough in the stand. I also am not so sure anymore that it is absolutely necessary to get in the woods before daylight all the time. I have had many a great hunt that i didn't get to the stand until 10 or 11 but I stayed all day. Evening hunts have been the best for me lately.

I know I'm rambling but you asked.:biggrin:

Good luck to you and your boys.

ronn 10-06-2009 07:06 PM

good advise buckshot

onehorse 10-06-2009 09:03 PM

Welcome to the site. You've already started on the right track by joining us. Buckshot gave you a good starting point. If you ask more specific questions, we might be able to help you more. Good luck.

guppy11 10-08-2009 06:50 PM

Welcome to the site! Let me expand on thing already mentioned, scent control. No you don't need to buy all the lates chemicals, just go down to the local store and buy baking soda. Wash all you clothes and then store them in a plastic bag. A garbage bag works fine just tie the open end in a knot to seal it up. Deer see quick movements well so move slowly. And there hearing is just better than humans. Play the wind correctly. and hunt areas that hold deer that other hunters aren't willing to hunt. Good luck!

joel the signman 10-09-2009 09:13 AM

welcome to the site and good for you getting your kids involved.like buckshot said getting to know your hunting area is key.its also an easy way to get the kids involved as all you need are boots and strong legs.kids dont sit still for long so just get them used to be outside and being quiet and sitting still.hunting does not need to be expensive although it can be.you decide what gear is esential the rest is toys .you need weapon,warm cloths ,a knife drag rope, tags,compass,map, and determination.the rest you can add too as the years go by.good luck and keep us posted