Place - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Place

Are any of you from the south? Its alot different hunting and food plot plannting in the south than in the north. I would like to get some ideas on plannting in the south. Ive tried plannting a few times but havnt had much luck with it. Dont know if i planted the wrong things or if i done it at the wrong time. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM
B&C 140 Class

I'm from texas and we usually plant oats in late Sept. -- we disc the area well (to get all the other grasses out) and then we spread the seed and the deer in my area respond well to them...

Last edited by East Texas Droptine; 07-23-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
B&C 100 Class

Plus you have to consider the area. For instance, where I hunt over in Schliecher Co. TX (West Texas) is a totally different ecosystem even from where Droptine here is, let alone LA. So you have to see what works in your area. You might try asking local farmers what the deer are eating, (believe me they'll know they might even invite you to thin the herd a little ;) ) or even so far as to see what deer management companies in your area are using. Remember food plots arent just about attracting deer to kill, but for growing healthy ones that you can hunt in future seasons.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 AM
B&C 100 Class

Found this report from the LSU AG department. Apparently they did a study on whitetail food plot plantings. Hope it helps.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonly...gsHIGHRES1.pdf
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

Last edited by Id0ntlikeyou; 07-24-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Here in TN we are going to plant Shot Plot during the middle of Sept.. The guys I am on the lease with said that stuff came up better than anything else they have tried so far..

We sprayed the old plots with poison.. Will go back and disc/till up the ground.. Then sow the seed..

Last edited by buckfever; 07-24-2009 at 07:38 PM.