Bear sighting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Bear sighting

My wife an two girls one age 7yrs the other will be 6 months the 7th of July, was walking and picking blackberries today about lunch time. They were walking out to the powerline behind our house its about 300 or 400 yrds. back its one of my favorite hunting places. When my wife spotted a black bear that probably would have weighed 200 pounds or maybe a little more or less. When she seen it she hollered at my oldest daughter to run an she took off pushing the stroller running as fast as they could. I told them when I heard what they did that they should have stood their ground that running was more likely to trigger an attack, what do you'll think we are interested to hear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 PM
ronn

bear will 99 times out of 100 run from humans. if they had just yelled at it, it probably run away.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 AM

In almost all cases Black Bears have a big reputation for running from humans, a Black Bear attack is extremely rare...

Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

Seen a few bear myself. Most of the time I managed to depart the area without being detected. Every time, but one the bear headed in the opposite direction from me. That one time I got between a sow and her young. My bad!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:10 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Bear sighting

Well did she attack you?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM

About 4 years ago I had a pretty big boar bear scent track me right to my ladder stand and put his paws on the 2nd rung. I told him that one more step and he would get 30" of cold aluminum. He simply looked at me and steped down and fed his way away. I've had others run like they were shot out of a cannon. There have been several bears sighted this year in the area I hunt in PA.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Bears are curious and shy but sometimes the curiousity lets them get too close for comfort. The only time one should really worry is when there is a sow with cubs. That is a recipe for disaster. Other than that just yell at them and that usually is enough to get them moving.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

My parents had a curious Black Bear on thei porch at their cabin. The property backs up to the Lincoln National Forest in NM so the get all sorts of stuff wandering up to the cabin. First time theyve gotten a bear though. I'll see if I can get the pictures and put em up. They are kinda hard to see b/c for obvious reasons they didnt want to use the flash...

Based on its height on the bannister of the deck, it was about 40" or so tall at teh shoulder. I have no idea if thats a big black bear or not, but it looked big in the pictures.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill