Deer Hunting Forums banner

Catching deer by darting

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  malnikoff 
#1 ·
Whats your guys view on darting deer. I have to dart 8 deer every year. To test for TB. Would this be considered hunting? They are in a 25 ac. thick wood area. Pros cons

Thanks
B-Rad

G
#3 ·
I think I'm with hm. Its not fair chase so that makes it not so for me. It could be a kinda cool thing to do and could be viewed, i guess by some, as hunting. but there is a large under tone of its part of someones job. If someone asked me if I wanted to give it a try I would say heck yeah, but hunting ehhhhhh its a stretch.

#7 ·
I look at it this way???

The dart and drugs are going to cost me around $30 per Shot. I would like to re cope some of the money and maybe pervide a service to the handicap or young hunters. Or maybe grandpa that cant get around as good as he use to that wants his grandson to have the thrill of being face to face with a deer. The only con I see is if the shooter hits them in a vital spot or if the deer has a reaction to the drug.

P.S. Thanks for the replies

#8 ·
Here in Ky how I hunt deer. about 6:00am in the morning make some coffee. Go out on the front porch. I have 12 acre field to my left 150 to 250 yard shoot. To my right I have a power line with woods on both sides 75 to 500 yard shot. The deer move from the field to the left and past the power line to the right. On a good day I could see 20 wild does and 4 bucks in shooting range. That why I was asking the question about darting the deer being hunting. I don't see a difference myself?

#9 ·
What makes this a legal activty? Are you a game warden or work for the DNR in your state? Personally if the state gave the oppertunity to dart deer for reshearch for say TB or bovine, I might take them up on the offer. However, if your intentions are to gain profit from Darting for Dollars then I would find your operation to be not in good taste. Most likely a violation of state game laws too. If you have that many deer then set up a hunting camp for the handicap hunters or war veterns and run it as non profit organization taking in donations/sponsers to stay alive.:w00t:

#12 ·
what you are proposing was tried and shot down by the hunting community not long ago.you cant reuse deer ,either kill and eat it or leave it alone:ranting:

#13 ·
What I See???

it take 3 to 7 years for a deer to produce a nice rack? (Right) Where I am from if it have antlers its shot and all the does a left behine and the spikes to breed them. So know in our area there are few big bucks and the genetics are so so. Leaving a 5 to 10 years before there will be any big boys in the area. Where darting a deer I can dart a yearling 6 pointer and still have the deer next year to be a 10 or 12 pointer. Dart that dear and the 3rd year have a nice trophy buck 170 class. 4th year with some of the genetics out there I would love to seethe next years!!! IF you kill him he is dead???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.