Tick season - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Scrub Buck

Permethrin is no joke. It is standard issue for anyone in the army that is deploying to a "tick infested" area. It is sprayed on to your clothes (DO NOT PUT IT ON YOU!!!) and will stay in them for several months and roughly about 20 cycles through the wash. Also, it does not kill ticks as much as it repels them. Keep in mind that it is easily smelled by deer, coyotes and the like. It is not really meant for hunters trying to be un-noticed in the woods, but for people that are outdoors to stay tick free. I used to give the briefs to all deploying soldiers about anything medical and Permethrin was one of the main topics. As an avid hunter in Louisana and Texas where ticks are very common I do not use it. It is one more way for my quarry to evade me. I just check for the little buggers when I get back home. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

according to the manufacturer its odorless when dry i have have never noticed any smell but im no deer,i use it for turkey season mostly and my bug suit for deer season
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 PM

lyme disease, its just one bite away. I'll use anything to keep those things away.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 04-08-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-10-2009, 07:37 PM

I was tilling in some chicken crap on my garden yesterday and noticed 1 of those ticks making his way up my arm.. A few mins later after I set him on fire I continued tilling.. Came inside and took my chicken crap smelling shirt off and had another tick dug in on my shoulder.. Burnt him too.. Ticks have to be attached for awhile for them to transfer lyme disease. Thats why I am sure to check nightly when Ive been out in the yard or woods..

http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/articles/deer-ticks/