Deer Hunting Forums banner

Baby Cataract

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Buckshot 
#1 ·
Our newest member to the family has a cataract in one of his eyes. We spent yesterday at Vanderbilt and today we are on the search locally to find infant framed glasses. We put a patch over his good eye for about 5 hours a day to stimulate his brain into continuing to use his blurred eye. Docs say we're looking at surgery within a year or so but in the meantime the most important thing is to keep that eye functioning and growing correctly. The glasses are for a stigmatism in that same eye. Worst possible is loss of sight in his right eye.. Best possible is 20/60 in right eye..

Im going to have to teach my boy to shoot left handed.. Maybe he will get my wife's left handedness and be a south paw anyway..

Keep him in your prayers please. Im very leery about putting a baby to sleep for surgery.. I dont care for that idea to much.

If you ever think you have a rough life take a trip to Vanderbilt. When you see some of those young children and loving parents you will appreciate the healthiness that God has given you and yours. There are alot of parents that spend alot of time in a clinic hoping for a cure for their child. Im thankful that ours just has a cataract and the fact that though its rare it can be treated by some of the best eye doctors/surgeons in the world.

See less See more
#2 ·
Through the power of prayer, medical miracles happen daily.
Nothing tears at my heart more than a child in pain or struggling with a disability/impairment.
you're always in our prayers, we will say extra prayers for the baby.

G
#3 ·
i'm hoping for the best for you all. my daughter was born with partial cataracts in one eye. the dr said it'll probably never bother her till old age, like 50, grinning i can hear you guys now, but so far all has been great.

#4 ·
Thanks fellows..

Yeah ronn the doc said right now its on that border line on whether or not to take it out.. The majority of baby cataracts are to small to mess with.. This one is at 3 millimeters right now.. Im hoping it shrinks just a tad and as his eye lense grows the cataract becomes less of an issue..

There are millions of people walking around today that have 20/60 vision.. I wouldn't even wear contacts if my vision was that good..

#7 ·
Prayers sent, And you are so right about being thankful for our good health. There are a lot of people suffering with ailments and problems of every description and when things don't go our way it's good to remember just how good we have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.