Deer Hunting Forums banner

Update on - Woman shot by arrow in NY

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/nyregion/20arrow.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion
Man Is Arrested in Arrow Shooting in Bronx, and Police Say It Was an Accident

By CARA BUCKLEY and AL BAKER
Published: March 20, 2009
A 27-year-old man was arrested on Thursday night on charges that he shot an arrow that accidentally struck a woman in the abdomen in the Bronx on Sunday, the police said.
The police said the man, Eric Collins, fired the arrow about 2 p.m. in front of a home he was moving into on Independence Avenue in the Riverdale section.
Mr. Collins, a plumber for the Westchester County government, fired the arrow at a fence, the police said, but it went through it and hit a woman who was opening a car door to drop a friend at a nursing home next door.
The woman, Denise Delgado Brown, who is 51 and lives in Yonkers, underwent surgery at St. Barnabas Hospital and was released on Thursday afternoon, according to Fred Winters, a hospital spokesman. A man who answered the phone at her home late Thursday said she was sleeping.
Investigators said they believe that Mr. Collins heard the woman cry out in pain, and that he knew they were looking for the person responsible in the days that followed.
“We believe he also heard the woman say ‘ouch’ basically,” a law enforcement official said.
Mr. Collins was charged with second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.
Three detectives walked Mr. Collins out of the 50th Precinct station house at 236th Street and Kingsbridge Avenue about 2:20 a.m. on Friday and loaded him into a black, four-door Chevrolet Impala. He did not respond to any questions. The police had been combing the area, which was near a park, and puzzling over the archer’s identity since Sunday, driving squad cars along the streets and urging people over a loudspeaker to come forward with tips.
Detectives first encountered Mr. Collins about 15 minutes after the incident, and he denied knowing anything about it, the police said.
When they returned on Thursday about 4 p.m., they found him outside, walking three dogs, and questioned him again.
Mr. Collins was extremely nervous, the police said, so the squad commander of the 50th Precinct, Sgt. James Foley, asked him to go the police station to be questioned. Mr. Collins agreed.
The police repeatedly stressed that Mr. Collins had not meant to hit anyone. He and his wife were moving from their home on Bronx River Road in Yonkers on Sunday to Mr. Collins’s grandparents’ home on Independence Avenue. While taking a break from unpacking, Mr. Collins fired the arrow, and it went through the bottom of the fence. The police said Mr. Collins had about six arrows, but shot only one. The police would not say whether the bow had been found.
A phone message left late Thursday night at the home of Mr. Collins’s grandparents was not immediately returned. Yellow police tape surrounded the house on Independence Avenue, which was dark, and a police car, with two officers inside, sat in the front yard.
The arrow hit Ms. Brown on a downward arc, penetrating her body by a couple of inches, as she was opening the passenger door of her red Kia Sorento. After feeling the hit, Ms. Brown looked down, saw the arrow and tugged it. “I felt it was embedded deep inside of me,” she said on Monday. “I was afraid I would bleed uncontrollably — I thought I better leave it until I was at the hospital.”
The arrow was a little more than 30 inches long, an all-carbon Blackhawk 4000 ACA, with a black shaft and two feathers still attached — one yellow, the other white. The arrow’s tip seemed to be for target shooting, according to the police.
It is not illegal to own bows and arrows in New York City, though people who use them as weapons can be charged with reckless endangerment. It is against parks department rules, however, to bring any “missile-propelling instruments” into city parks.

See less See more
#2 ·
he should have fessed up the first time they questioned him now he's in real deep trouble:no:

#6 ·
the sad thing is the guy just moved into his fathers house and while he was unpacking he took a shot with his bow he only has 6 arrows and this one went sailing and hit this women.If he fessed up he wouldnt have been charged but since he dint now he's facing all kinds of charges.the woman will probably sue and get the house

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.