Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   Optics Question... (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/3631-optics-question.html)

Charlotte 02-13-2009 04:47 PM

Optics Question...

Hello,
I was just wondering if many of you use spotting scopes or binoculars when hunting and if so, in what situations? I have a store online that sells binoculars, monoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinders in day and night vision, waterproof, zoom, and digital imaging items. Though I'd love for you to check it out, this is more of a research question. I'd be glad to see about carrying items that this group would be interested in and offering discounts to you.

What types and strengths of optics do you use and do you have preferred brands? I carry several brands already: Bushnell, Canon, Galileo, National Georgraphic, iGen, NexGen, Night Owl, Nikon, and Vanguard, but would still be open to investigating others. I'd appreciate any input you'd care to share, pro or con. Thanks!

KeithF 03-10-2009 09:34 PM

Hi all,

Mark (Buckfever) wanted me to go ahead and move this post back to the Campfire forum and give it a *bump* reply so people can give Charlotte some feedback.

Charlotte and MyOpticsPro.Com have agreed to sponsor a very nice contest for us, so please take 2 minutes to give her some feedback.

Also, check out the new contest linked below. Someone will be walking away with a nice scope soon!

Riflescope Contest

joel the signman 03-10-2009 10:19 PM

i always carry my nikon binnos with me .i wear them with a crooked horn harness that is real comfortable.they dont hang around my neck but rest on my chest and slide up into view.offhand i dont remember the strength but i know they are from the Sky and earth series.they were a gift from my dad many years and survived a tumble down a cliff.I use them all the time while hunting to carefully dissect the woods around me.i also use them while still hunting and at the range.i may buy a spotting scope for the range as it makes checking shots easier than binos.i would love to purchase some flip type caps for my binnos as i've lost the original ones that snapped over the eyes.i think flip ups would be nice cuz you wouldnt have to remove then lose the caps:lol:

Hunting Man 03-11-2009 06:10 AM

When I elk hunt I use binoculars, currently have a rangefinder for bowhunting and have Redfields, Leupolds, Weatherbys a Tasco and B&L scopes. May be looking to update to Nikon 8X40 bino's???? A spotting scope for range work would be nice.

BruceBruce1959 03-11-2009 06:29 AM

Hunting here in Vermont the hunter is most often in the woods, reducing the need for power optics,
most kill shots in Vermont are usually within the 100 yard range. A shot at 200+ yards is rare in Vermont.
However, I do use inexpensive Rifle scopes (Bushnel, Tasco, Simmons) for increased shooting accuracy,
I also have the same in Binoculars (Bushnel Tasco & Simmons)

A lot of hunters are getting into using trail cams more often now, so you might want to keep an eye on trail cam sales and accessories.
Good Luck to you.

Southern Man 03-11-2009 07:28 AM

I use optics all the time and I buy the best that I can afford. Hunting in Kentucky, I don't have very long range and the woods are thick, limiting shots to 100 yards or less, only occaisionally 200 - 300 yard shots. I like Burris Optics. I currently have Burris scopes on 2 rifles, Burris signature series binos (10X50), and a Nikon rangefinder that I use bowhunting and rifle hunting. Quality optics in the thick woods is a must for me. The clarity looking through the woods is a definite bonus compared to cheaper versions. Same with the riflescopes. Light gathering capabilities are better, and I see things that I wouldn't have noticed without them. It has made the difference for me several times. I have found that "You get what you pay for". No offense to those that use cheaper optics. It's all in what you prefer, but I won't compromise on optics.

Buckshot 03-11-2009 09:26 AM

I use small Nikon 8X32 Binocs while hunting, BSA scopes on my high power rifles and a 20 year old Tasco fixed 4X on my MZ. I rarely use a spoting scope but when I do it is from a shooting house with 200 plus yard opportunities, it's not mine so I have no idea what power it is.

wmi 03-11-2009 02:36 PM

I use Nikon and Leupold binocs and range finders. Spot scopes are Bushnell and Burris. As far as scopes I like to use mid level to top of the line scopes-----Swarovski,Zeiss, Leopold, Burris, Nikon.I also have one night vision scope by ATN. I prefer higher power optics than most which is also why I prefer higher end models for clarity.