less than an hour - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM
ronn

Default less than an hour

less than an hour after being sworn in, gun owners are taking a hit. the dip signed a freeze on the executive orders laid down by bush. freezing them for legal review. this will freeze the carry concealed in federal parks. what happens next i don't know and the report didn't say.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 PM

It begins!Make no mistake fellow hunters and gun owners the Democrates are out to take both of these away, period! There is now a 4 year battle on, this will be the biggest battle for gun rights the country has ever witnessed.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
less than an hour after being sworn in, gun owners are taking a hit. the dip signed a freeze on the executive orders laid down by bush. freezing them for legal review. this will freeze the carry concealed in federal parks. what happens next i don't know and the report didn't say.
ronn that isn't true at all. Obama put the freeze on some things but not the concealed carry rule in National parks and wildlife refuges...

the following is dated December 5 2008

New rule eases ban on firearms in national parks

WASHINGTON People will now be able to carry concealed firearms in some national parks and wildlife refuges.

An Interior Department rule issued Friday allows an individual to carry a loaded weapon in a park or wildlife refuge but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon, and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows loaded firearms in parks.

The rule overturns a Reagan-era regulation that has restricted loaded guns in parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulations required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as in a car trunk.

Assistant Interior Secretary Lyle Laverty said the new rule respects a long tradition of states and the federal government working together on natural resource issues.

The regulation allows individuals to carry concealed firearms in federal parks and wildlife refuges to the same extent they can lawfully do so under state law, Laverty said, adding that the approach is in line with rules adopted by the federal Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. Those agencies let visitors carry weapons consistent with applicable federal and state laws.

The National Rifle Association hailed the rule change, which will take effect next month before President-elect Barack Obama takes office.

"We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's national parks and wildlife refuges," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist.

The rule will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners on federal lands and make federal law consistent with the state where the lands are located, Cox said. The NRA led efforts to change gun regulations they called inconsistent and unclear.

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations said the rule change will lead to confusion for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

"Once again, political leaders in the Bush administration have ignored the preferences of the American public by succumbing to political pressure, in this case generated by the National Rifle Association," said Bill Wade, president of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees.

"This regulation will put visitors, employees and precious resources of the National Park System at risk. We will do everything possible to overturn it and return to a commonsense approach to guns in national parks that has been working for decades," Wade said.

The park rule will be published in the Federal Register next week and take effect 30 days later, well before Obama takes office Jan. 20. Overturning the rule could take months or even years, since it would require the new administration to restart the lengthy rule-making process.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM
ronn

THe report was on the Yahoo home page news this morning and it said the incoming president had to 60 days form the order to put a freeze on it. What was said on dec 5th has little to do with want is said on jan 21 these days. I hope it was a bogus report but it said what it said. I'll see if I can find it. if you find something that is with in the last 24 hrs saying the report was wrong post it.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 PM

give me the link to where you read it because I can't find anything about it on yahoo.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM
ronn

i'm looking for it but nothing yet. going to look in the yahoo archives
Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
ronn

this is all i can find so far but we all know they aren't going to comeright out and say we want the guns. i know i read it this morning just can't find it.
Bloomberg.com: U.S.

... 79-year-old executive order prohibiting oil shale development ... Weapons in Parks. Some of Bush's regulations are also being challenged by outside groups. ...
anonr.com/surf.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ibG9vbWJlcmcuY29tL2FwcHM vbmV3cz... - Cached
Obama Team Ready To Undo Bush's Parting Shots

... clearing the way for concealed, loaded firearms into national parks. ... The list of executive orders targeted by Obama's
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
ronn

did anyone else read the article this morning on the Yahoo news headlines about 6 this morning?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM

Ronn you don't have any worries about the Concealed carry in national parks and wildlife refuges. NOT YET anyway.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
ronn

Its not the first time I've read something on the headlines Yahoo and then can't find hide nor hair of it at a later time. It mentioned 60 days from order to review for legal reasons and the carry concealed in National parks specifically. Not that he could change it or would change it just the freeze of it. heck it was before my DD coffee but I can still read even if I can't speak. I'll find it, now its bugging me.